1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jackie1791, Aug 11, 2020.

1. jackie1791

jackie1791 New commenter

Hi. I signed up to ATL as a student 20 years ago. I’m not a particularly political person, have never needed any union support and have just seen being a member as something necessary ‘just in case’. When ATL merged with the NUT and, by default, I then became a member of the NEU, I didn’t really take much notice. Recently, I have become quite uncomfortable with the way the NEU are handling the whole coronavirus thing (and the teacher bashing we seem to be getting because of this in the media). I would like help with deciding which union I should be thinking about joining as I would like to leave the NEU.

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oh dear. Your union are trying to protect you and they need you to play your part as well but if it makes you uncomfortable ... try Edapt.

red_observer likes this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oh dear. Your union are trying to protect you and they need you to play your part as well but if it makes you uncomfortable ... try Edapt.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Either Edapt or Voice.

Voice was formerly the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) and does not engage in 'any kind of industrial action' that is 'injurious to education' or damaging to the health, safety of welfare of those in its care or charge.

peter12171 likes this.
  5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

PAT... weren’t they the Professionals Against Teachers?

vannie, nomad and BigFrankEM like this.