1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by redcatkarl, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I work at a private 'sixth form college' in London - what used to be called a 'crammer' - teaching A Levels and GCSEs. Teachers can work from four to forty hours per week in the classoom, the pay scales are byzantine and there is no sick pay, no pension scheme, and no staff association at all. I want to join a union (and encourage others to join) but don't know which one would be most appropriate for our peculiar circumstances. Which, if any of them, would know or care anything about colleges like mine? Please help!
  2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The word' private' means that you are governed by the employment contract that that particular school constructs and not covered by the STPCD as local authority schools are. While I would advise indeed joining a union - which like joining to support political parties is a very personal selection - they will only be able to assist enforcement of national employment laws that all employers have to bow to.
  3. NASUWT would be quite suitable. As long as you are a qualified teacher. Private/state is irrelevant.