1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union to join?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by adell, Nov 24, 2015.

1. adell

adell New commenter

Hey, can I ask which union you think is the best one to join? ASCL or NAHT, or one of the others?
    Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You should be warned, @adell, that no union will support you with an issue that arose before you joined.

This could be bad news for you . . .

Best wishes

3. adell

adell New commenter

Thanks I already knew this but wondered which one is regarded as the most helpful or useful...

4. adell

adell New commenter

I don't have an issue to raise so I'm just interested.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have experienced at first hand questionable service from each of those teaching unions.

I have witnessed NAHT kick its heels and refuse to take a pro-active response to a non-genuine redundancy situation, in which a teacher was being victimised for whistle-blowing.

I have also witnessed superb support from regional officers of ASCL providing the primary response, but poor and, in my opinion, negligent service from its legal team, namely kicking its heels over a personal injury claim so that it went out of time and failing to prepare a case properly.

I have had first hand experience of witnessing senior staff using Edapt for support and have been very impressed with this organisation's pro-active professionalism and assertiveness.

I have no pecuniary or other interest in any of these organisations.

6. adell

adell New commenter

Interesting comments - thanks for replying.