1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union to join?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tobychainsaw, Mar 19, 2012.

1. From my experience, if you're in a salaried full time post, then the best union is the NASUWT. However, if you're supply or not in a "proper job" then they're the worst.

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

still with the nasuwt as they were helpful to me a few years ago, but as a supply teacher my subs are increasingly looking to be a waste of scarce cash.
    At the least they should offer us a reduced rate as we are all effectively part time!

4. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

The NUT do offer reduced rates for part time teachers. I've told them I do less than 0.3 of a full timer which makes the subs a lot cheaper.

5. You a tory?

6. The NUT was the only union that opposed the Remodelling Agreement 2003 that allowed HLTAs and Cover Supervisors take classes.

7. Which union to join?

None. Why do you need a communist pimp telling you what to think?

8. Oz, no I'm not a Tory. I'm an anti-political class libertarian.

My above comment was that unions do not deserve our money or our support having given us nothing at all (supply) when we were getting our jobs stolen by pedestrians. I would extend my lack of support to our contracted comrades as well. In it together....clearly not.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

do you have an alternative arrangement for legal support as and when you might need it?
    In the current climate I would not step into a classroom without it

10. This is a bogeyman. As long as you are not guilty, you should be ok.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

well good luck with that then
    and you might want to note the reductions in legal aid that are coming into force
    and please bear in mind that if you ever need it, you may well not be in a mental state to be able to argue with management etc who are out to get you!

12. A scenario to ponder..
    There was a male teacher who had been teaching at this Birmingham secondary school for a good 16+ years..Established, permanent and respected.
    Said school was quite rough and ruled by the pupils and for the pupils.
    One day in HIS lesson, the pupils decided to stage a mock fight. I say "mock" as it was afore planned and staged. And premeditated.
    One pupil filmed said fight and put it on YOu Tube...whilst said teacher just sat there in disbelief. Usual antics..I am not sure said teacher knew this was being filmed, but his complacency was filmed.
    Said teacher was taken by the police to the police station and fingerprinted and his photo was taken..He disappeared. Never went back. That was the end of his career..
    He wrote a mail to his erstwhile colleagues telling them what had happened some few years down the line..and how he had been treaten like a lowly criminal.. I remember seeing the email which a colleague showed me.
    THis could have been one of us. We live in precarious times..Supply teachers especially.
    He wrote hs colleagues a letter saying he had been treaten like a mean street criminal. And that was the end..
    There's a lesson in that for all of us.

13. I had the blow job incident, the shooting incident, the kid jumps out of 1st floor window incident as well as many others, including a whole lot of fuss from some stroppy old cow HOD. The fact is, like death, when your time comes, it will come. Is a union lawyer going to somehow make it all better and you super secure? What would the debate be over? Common law stuff I imagine...duty of care, neglect, abuse, fear, affray, murder? On principle, I would not allow myself to be represented by a bunch of economic pygmies with a silly ideology which denies reality, particularly human nature. Half the reason the profession is paralysed is that the staff are totally afraid to act, just in case they infringe someone's rights or some other ****. Fear is the undoing of many staff. As long as you don't act like a gelding, you won't get treated like one.

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

again, good luck with that.

15. escaped_teacher

escaped_teacher New commenter

You might want to read around on the "Workplace Dilemmas" forum, stuart.
    I'd recommend the NUT. They were brilliant whenever I needed support (which in one case consisted of a regional rep giving an informal call to a ht as in "oy, Jim, you are not seriously thinking..." which was enough for the ht to back down). I left the profession after 20 years nearly a year ago but I still pay my fee to the NUT as a sign of thanks for their support.