1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union to join?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Becky15, May 22, 2011.

1. Becky15

Becky15 New commenter

I was wondering if anybody had opinions on which union a new probationary teacher should join? I was going to join the EIS with them being the largest in Scotland but since they agreed to the pay deal and to increase probationary timetables to 0.9 ( does this take effect in Aug?). Im not so sure now!

2. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

After probation, you may (and I really hope not) end up on supply, which as said elsewhere is a "rite of passage" a long passage, but a recognised career path. Then you will have no reason to thank the EIS. Avoid, as if what is being done to yourself is not bad enough.

All the best!

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

www.ssta.org.uk if you are secondary qualified.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I joined the EIS years ago as a student,thinking that the biggest union would be the best bet to safeguard my pay and working conditions. Being French,that how I understood a union worked. As it turns out,I was wrong.

5. Or Voice, if you're not into striking / industrial action.