1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Union to choose?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by rightasrain, Jul 2, 2012.

1. rightasrain

rightasrain New commenter

Hi, I have just come to the end of my teacher training course and have obtained my first post... I am now thinking about which union to join... I am interested in either NUT or ATL. Can anyone in dummy terms explain the pros/cons of either union? I have been on their websites to see why I should join and it mostly mentions the freebies! Obviously I am interested in that but I am also interested in their service etc! I have also heard that ATL is best for NQTS?

Thanks in advance!

2. rightasrain

rightasrain New commenter

Hi, I have just come to the end of my teacher training course and have obtained my first post... I am now thinking about which union to join... I am interested in either NUT or ATL. Can anyone in dummy terms explain the pros/cons of either union? I have been on their websites to see why I should join and it mostly mentions the freebies! Obviously I am interested in that but I am also interested in their service etc! I have also heard that ATL is best for NQTS?

Thanks in advance!

3. You can be a member of all in your NQT year, see which is the best fit. The advice I've been given time and time again is to see which union is best represented in your school as that's the rep you'll have most interaction with

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Personally, I would recommend ATL though this is based on my personal experience. I've been a member of both and felt like I kind of got lost in the NUT really. I got bog standard emails that went out to everyone, that's it. Whereas being a part of ATL I've been invited along to my local branch meetings, I've had many emails about local CPD events etc. as well as the bog standard mail outs. The student and NQT part of ATL seems to be far above that of the NUT. Also, ATL seem to offer a lot more in terms of CPD and actually do a very good Masters programme with Edge Hill. Just my thoughts and experience but hope that helps.

5. I would suggest talking to people in your area to see which is best in terms of advice etc. I joined ATL for all of the reasons mentioned by Vanadesse, which are true. However, in my area the access to good quality advie is shocking. My school has no ATL rep, the branch secretary is new this year and hardly ever answers the phone or returns calls. I have also had bad experiences with the regional officer (also fairly new). This sums up my total access to advice. I feel very badly let down at a time that I need good quality, clear, practical advice about my curent situation. Their delays have resulted in a situation becoming even more urgent and having a greater personal effect on me. Check out the advice, thats what is going to really matter and people never realise until its too late.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

My advice, unless you have a particular political point of view, is to join the strongest union in your school. If you have a good school rep. or there are lots of members, it will give you a lot more support if you have any difficulties.

7. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

I have just finished PGCE and joined the ATL, because they sent me the least tat in the post/email, ergo they are the least annoying. Also they have a good conference.

8. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I have to say, ATL Conference is fantastic. Did you go this year fizzbobble?