1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which union do you recommend?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by CorrinaGB, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CorrinaGB

CorrinaGB New commenter

I begin my NQT year (primary) in September. I'd love to hear recommendations for which union to sign up with – thanks.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

They all usually offer free membership to NQTs- so you can join them all. Check then which union reps are working in your school or available locally as they would be the people you would contact for local support.

CorrinaGB likes this.
  3. realteuchtar

realteuchtar New commenter

They tell you 'join a union' as you might need them one day. My experience is they have rolled over. Unless teachers collectively stand up to what is going on there is no chance. What you permit you promote. Your colleagues will stand by and watch you thrown to the wolves. But then when you leave it will be there turn.

4. rolls

rolls New commenter

From September there is a new union that is being formed from NUT and ATL jooining together. It makes sense to join this as it will be far larger than any other. Both offer some good CPD as well so hopefully that will be even better in future.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Stay with the one you are already in for now. When you get to your new place, see which the majority of staff are in. Also look at who the school reps are. Join the one on your place where the answer to both are positive.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I think the most important thing is to make sure that whichever union you join has a rep in your school. If not, it can be very difficult if you do need their help on anything.