1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Tory would be the best PM and what will this new leader mean for education?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, May 24, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'Tory' and 'best PM' in the same sentence? Surely you jest.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

None of them.

And whoever gets in, the results of Brexit, esp. a 'hard' Brexit, will be to impoverish the UK, so it will be disastrous for education. We can read of teachers being made to do dinner duties on another thread...expect more of the same if there is a No Deal...

JL48, afterdark, Laphroig and 11 others like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Education under the Tories has seen:

The fragmentation of the support model [Local Authority to Academy]
    Pay progression hindered
    Financial resources strangled.
    Senior management growing.
    Money being siphoned off by MAT chains with little or piddlepoor oversight
    No co-ordinated local policy
    Teachers pay shrinking in real terms
    Exam grades watered down
    Make-work new GCSEs
    The myth of ''bad teachers" being used to bring in Capability and that being used as a tool to clear out UPS3 and other experienced staff.
    Increasing behaviour challenges and a government response of trying to tie schools hands in response instead of investing in Behaviour Support Units.

Basically everything there pretty much guarantees I won't touch the Tory party at the ballot box.

Bet I missed something.

JL48, afterdark, Alice K and 18 others like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The thread title is as depressing as having to choose which terminal illness you'd prefer to kill you.

JL48, afterdark, chelsea2 and 19 others like this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Teachers in particular won't be happy but the party is going to end up with Gove as leader. He won't make PM. Nigel Farage will be P M. This will all happen in September 2019.

lexus300 likes this.
  7. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Not Gove!

Laphroig, BetterNow and Jamvic like this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

If there is the No Deal that is the will of the people, dont worry the decline in living standards will only be temporary. Only about 30 years.

BetterNow likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

1.Jacob Rees-Mogg

2. Raab
    3. Boris.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

So how would JRM get the Tories united behind him?
    Rabb, I think. He's potentially got wider appeal beyond the nationalist extremists and narrow minded grassroots.

alison_wain12 likes this.
  11. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

None of them, the best thing Bumbling Boris ever did was to chair HIGNFY!

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

... et is there anyone NOT throwing their hat into the ring ?! Re the profession - they will almost certainly invest in private education / push for the grammars for their offspring so in the grand scheme of things I suspect plus ça change ....

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

That would be unprecedented for any government. I think most candidates went to state school.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

..but suspect those who vote for them are more likely to pursue fee paying ? .. and of course there are ‘state’ and there are ‘state’ .. ?

16. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Not one Tory believes in state education, even if they were one of the few who experienced it for themselves, they almost certainly sent their children private. Education has been bedevilled by Ministers who simply don't believe in their schools, and certainly not in their teachers. A plague on all their houses. The sooner Angela Rayner is Education Secretary the better.

afterdark and Alice K like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

None of them and b***er all are the answers to the questions.

BelleDuJour and Sally006 like this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not sure if that was wry sarcasm! Last time I looked, every candidate but one had been to an independent school:

Boris Johnson (Eton)
    Rory Stewart (Eton)
    Jeremy Hunt (Charterhouse, where he was Head Boy)
    Amanda Rudd (Cheltenham Ladies College)
    Matt Hancock (King's Chester)
    Michael Gove (Robert Gordon's College for part of his schooling)
    Esther McVey (Belvedere School, now an academy but a GDST school when she was there)

The one exception is Dominic Raab, who went to one of the country's top grammar schools (Dr Challoners). If Graham Brady stands, he will be another Grammar school boy (Altrincham GS).

I may be wrong, but I don't think any at all went to a comprehensive school, unless Sajid Javid decides to stand.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    JL48, Jamvic, Sally006 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Education has not been led for quite some time. It has been reduced to a system of eaay exams that rich students can do but poor state school students are not allowed to do.

As for PM - one that doesn't run off or away like Boris and Johnson did when they had an opportunity to lead on the back of their claims. And one that isn't wrapped in the security blanket of a blind, blinkered and dangerous ego.