1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which to choose - internally marked or externally marked writing test - KS2 2012

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jonathan1963, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I am in the pocess of picking brains to try and determine which of the 2 SATS Writing (2012) options to take, i.e.

1. Internally marked test available from Feb-June with a reported Teacher Assessment level and the chance of external moderation ...

or ...

2. Externally marked test in May (i.e. SATS as we know and love them).

I appreciate that the "internal" option will give a broader view of a child's ability across a range of genre and timescales ... but the existing option is more cast iron in terms of quality (?discuss?).

What is your school going for ... internal or external?

2. I am in the pocess of picking brains to try and determine which of the 2 SATS Writing (2012) options to take, i.e.

1. Internally marked test available from Feb-June with a reported Teacher Assessment level and the chance of external moderation ...

or ...

2. Externally marked test in May (i.e. SATS as we know and love them).

I appreciate that the "internal" option will give a broader view of a child's ability across a range of genre and timescales ... but the existing option is more cast iron in terms of quality (?discuss?).

What is your school going for ... internal or external?

3. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

but surely if it is only ta results that are being published it doesnt matter if the tests are externally or internally marked?

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I agree with groovyshell, we will be assessing children as usual in English to get their levels in writing and siting the formal test and having it externally marked.

5. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

this is what i am hoping for too. it takes the pressure off esp not knowing what the moderation will be like if you do internal marking