1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which textbook to buy for GCSE Edexcel Drama?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by DaisysLot, Nov 18, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would get a copy of each and pick the bits out you want to use rather than invest an awful lot of money in a class set that will date very quickly.... :)

2. Agreed.

3. But remember that Edexcel have recently said that some of their approved books don't meet the exam criteria in some respects and they are revising them.

4. Meant to add the quote from Edexcel:
    "You do mention some activities from the Pearson's resources and I
    can only add

that some of these activities are somewhat un-supportive in terms
    of the clear

focus required - in this case, of the requirement for all Unit 2
    activities to

connect clearly with the text. We are currently looking at ways of
    correcting

any misinformation in place here and I can only apologise (again)
    for the

confusion that has arisen".

5. thingwall

thingwall New commenter

I've seen a lot of GCSE Drama textbooks in my time and the bulk of them are usually taken up with examples of working on a text, impro and lots of design stuff. Why I keep buying them now is to avoid missing out on any particular specific exam stuff which should be provided by the Board anyway. The only one I bought a set of was Dramawise by O'Toole and Haseman (back in the 90s) which is a genuinely interesting way of teaching that level but of course not linked to any particular exam and thus sidelined nowadays.
    I think any exam board in drama at KS4 and 5 should provide any specific advice and not issue official textbooks. Mind you I think they should go back to providing free moderation days as well!

6. That is incredibly worrying! And potentially, not just confusion has arisen but pupils' marks may have been altered as a result, affecting their overall grades! Doesn't seem quite enough to simply apologise 'for the confusion that has arisen'!

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

EDEXCEL - Always apologising for something....