1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which TEFL qualification is considered 'gold standard'?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ChaiLattePlease, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

My husband and I are considering a move to China in the summer. He is thinking about doing a TEFL qualification to have more employment options when we get over there.
    Can anyone advise which is the best one to go for?

2. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

For the kindergartens in my company it just needs to be 120 hours. Try to find one that gives plenty experience of actually teaching children. Does he have a degree? Without a degree he will not be able to get a work visa

ChaiLattePlease likes this.
  3. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Double posted

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

CELTA or the Trinity College Dublin one - many language schools in Europe won't accept anything else. Sure, you mention you want to go to China, but it's worth you doing a course that allows you to go other places in the future. It's not like the places in China won't accept these.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

For China all visa applicants require a 3 yr full time degree studied in a native English speaking country and CELTA is the gold standard.

6. ChaiLattePlease

Thanks Fer888, luckily yes he does, in Linguistics so he knows many of the principles if not the practice!

7. ChaiLattePlease

Thank you. I have a job offer in China, which is why it’s top of the list.

8. ChaiLattePlease

That’s really useful to know, thank you!