1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which TEFL course?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bonzai_killer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. yellowsubmarine1

yellowsubmarine1 New commenter

WHat are YOU talking about? Yeh as if international schools are going to have enough supply and demand from foreign native english expats to fill their schools with. You talk utter rubbish. You even kicked yourself in the foot saying most intl schools are filled with native English speakers and THEN you said your school is mainly locals!!!!!!! I can tell you 99.9% of my school they are locals too. So you think that an international school in say Germany is going to be full of English and American kids do you? I reckon it will be full of rich German kids. That is what an international school is....a school which does the IB or British or American curriculum and attracts local rich kids NOT a school made for native English kids (there wouldn't be enough of them in any country to fill i[ the school). My GF'd boss's kids who are half Taiwanese go to an intl School in Taiwan, and most of the kids there are rich Taiwanese kids. Yes SOME expat kids will go to these schools of course.

The next thing is that you are saying that IGCSE English as a 2nd language isn't EFL? Well I can tell you that it IS. It is basic English with grammar and vocabulary on a variety of topics. I am afraid there is either the language OR the literature IGCSE exam not both! The literature would be too difficult for a lot of the kids at my school as it probably is at yours. Like I said, why do literature if they can't speak English very well? That's for A level once you are good at the LANGUAGE. At least you are correct that the kids need to take exams in the medium of English though. So....you ARE teaching EFL really even though you are too aloof to think that you are.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

My last three schools.....42 different nationalities, 52, and 46. All of them took English as a subject NOT EFL. We have support teachers in place to aid and assist the sudents with their language learning, but they have to pass an english test to get into these schools. They had to be proficent in English to even get in. When are you going to realise Musikteech, that NOT all international schools are created equally.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. yellowsubmarine1

Mine is a proper international school and most of the kids are the nationality of the country the school is in. 42 different nationalities where? We ALSO have support teachers to assist the students. Our students take English as a SUBJECT too but what I am saying is that 2nd language English as a subject is not much more than teaching EFL. You don't understand what I am saying dumbells you are too quick to come in on every thread with your know all approach of everything and it isn;t working. English as a 2nd language IS EFL I am afraid. Pass an english test to get in to these schools? Yes so do out students have to as well. 42 different nationalities seems far fetched to me but if that's what they were then so be it. At the end of the day it is a school full of foreign kids. Whether they are all the say foreign nationality or 42 different foreign nationalities makes no odds dumbells.

4. dumbbells66

Perhaps if you stopped the sweeping statements that you always seem to make, then all of us on here wont have to keep jumping in to correct you all the time. I also said, if you didnt notice, i have taught in schools that had 52 different nationalities, and 46 different nationalities. Some of these kids are native speakers, Ameticans, Australians, Canadians, Brits, and these definitely dont need EFL lessons. I work with a large group of English teachers here that would fundamentally disagree with you that their lessons are glorified EFL lessons. Im sorry, but you are just wrong.

And im still waiting on my apology from the other thread where you miss quoted me, and you got you panties in a twist over nothing :)

5. yellowsubmarine1

Ok it's not exactly EFL or glorified EFL teaching then but there is a big difference between language 1 and language 2 and there is a big difference between language and literature.

Here is a recent question for language 2

You were recently of a school trip when something unusual happened. Write an email to a friend and say where you were going and why. Describe what happened and say how you felt about what happened. Write 150-200 words. The pictures will help you write the story.

OK it isn't exactly EFL but it isn't exactly Shakespeare either! I would apologise to you but you did insult me once calling me some kind of nutter and you said your GF was a psychologist so you could understand or something. That's why I thought you were insulting me.

6. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

I apologise for the word "rambling" - I think I should of used the word "distinctive". It's the threads that you join that end up being rambling. I don't think you do yourself any favours by constantly changing your name. I remember a post a long time back where I asked you about this and you said your original "Musikteach" incarnation was blocked. Oh and by the way, I have enjoyed being retired for the last two years after teaching science for 28 years. I enjoy the threads on teaching overseas as it is where I was working for over 5 years as a chemical engineer. My brother in law and his wife are still living in Saudi (Mech Engineering). They have been there for 15 years!!

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

i would never call you a nutter, and if you read what i wrote you will see that i didnt. i always enjoy reading your posts, even though you do get a lot of stuff wrong. it always make for an interesting thread when you are around.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

There is a distinct difference between creative writing as a native English speaker and in EFL and how one teaches native speakers versus EFL. The difficulty is when you assume and teach according to pre-conceived notions, so have to disagree with you @yellowsubmarine1 (or rod 90 or muskiteech, etc).....

Not all disagreements on these threads are personal ;)

9. yellowsubmarine1

WHy state the obvious?