1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which teaching union?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rowboe, Jan 6, 2019.

1. rowboe

rowboe New commenter

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on teaching unions. I have always been a member of the NUT but I am looking to change due to both the increasing price of being a member, as well as not sharing their ethos in terms of strike action.

I have looked at a few and am interested in the two below.
    - Edapt
    - ASCL

If anyone has used either union or has any pros/cons about them, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

2. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Are you a HT/SLT? ASCL is Association of School and College Leaders - the alternative union to NAHT. Edapt are a union alternative - those on here who have used them have said they're more akin to an insurance policy.

You say you don't like strike action. Bear in mind that ASCL and NAHT have become more focused on direct action in the last year.

3. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Back in the old days, I would have always advised someone to be part of the union which had the biggest presence in your school. For this reason, I've always been in the NUT/NEU.

With academisation and decreasing numbers of school reps, I think that this is less important these days.

I suppose it doesn't really matter which union you are a part of, just make sure you are in one!

Dragonlady30 and FrankWolley like this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

This is why teaching conditions have become worse since i satarted in the early 1980s
    Unless teachers are prepared to go on strike to improve their pay, pension, or working conditions then they are going to be repeatedly shafted.

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Actually rowboe didn't say that they didn't like strike action. Given the lack of strikes in the face of the crisis in teaching it could well be that rowboe doesn't like the lack of striked...:D

6. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

I have been saying this repeatedly. Teachers just don’t have the courage anymore.

Fear of jobs? Fear of not getting promotion? Just don’t understand.

Orchid2457, vannie and ridleyrumpus like this.
  7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

All of the above.

Because teachers won’t support each other, there’s a fear that ‘troublemakers’ will be singled out. If not eased out, then certainly not promoted. I’m pretty sure I was turned down for a job because I told them I was a union rep. It happens.

But we are also very effectively brainwashed - this is not a job... DONT STRIKE....this is a vocation...never let the children down...DONT STRIKE...what about their results... this is not a job...this is a vocation...never let the children down...DONT STRIKE....what about their results...you must drink the Koolaid....

8. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

I have personal experience of ASCL. Pastoral support from their officer was excellent. However, the later legal support I received from them was, both in my opinion and that of the Learned Counsel advising me, professionally negligent. I cannot recommend them.

I have seen EDAPT's professional member support in action at first-hand. It was of the quality I would expect to receive from a professional association. Solicitors were instructed from the outset and the response on behalf of their client was robust and rigorous. Were I not now retired, I would join EDAPT without hesitation.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

@SEBREGIS ….If my teaching assistant supported me by standing up for the truth, I may have got some justice in my case. However, she is afraid for her job as there are less teaching assistant jobs around. The other teachers in a similar position to me at my school, have all quietly gone which I think my Head thought I would do, but didn't. Not that it will make any difference to the next teacher my Head decides to 'bully' out and she will get away with it again and again and again. It doesn't help that no one is allowed to discuss anything when there is union involvement so no one knows that other teachers before have been through a similar situation at the school. The system is stacked against teachers, with or without union support.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But things were very different in our day (I'm sorry if I've wrongly assumed you were teaching in the 80s). We all TALKED to each other, and generally had nearly an hour every lunchtime talking. Also most staff stayed a long time at schools, so when you joined, you probably had a few experienced teachers to guide and advise you you probably became close friends with colleagues. Many of the teachers I know from that time felt that colleagues were almost like family. Now NQTs seem to spend most of their lunchtimes working on a computer, and often have to manage departments/cope without a caring, experienced HOD to mentor them. I know this is generalising, but I do think they have it far worse. We were taught to question and debate new initiatives.
    When the SMT in my last school were discussing changes, only the older staff questioned things.
    To answer the OP, I've been in most unions over the years-I have never been in Edapt, but have heard good reviews of them.

Orchid2457, Lara mfl 05 and TEA2111 like this.
  11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Thatcher's children and their offspring have been swamped with anti-union propaganda for their entire lives. As a result they are happily accepting zero hour contracts, reduction in breaks, holidays and sick pay and the complete abolition of pensions. I guess they should all celebrate fat cat Friday as their work is paying for them.

12. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

F.C.O.L.
    You want to be in a union and enjoy the benefits but do not want stand up and be counted when it matters?

How very Margaret Thatcher of you.

Do you understand what a trade union is ?

If you do, then your statement is staggeringly usary and/or selfish. If you don't then perhaps you try understand the situation that you are in a teacher.

Should the SLT or part thereof decide to treat you unfairly (possibly dismiss) and you colleagues refuse to go on strike for you then you might truely understand the selfishness contained in your post.

Cue the wailing ninnies...O how can anyone critise you for wanting to take all the benefits of being in a union but not take part in industrial action which is how the unions achieve better working conditions for you?

There was a famous Polish union called Solidarność (Solidarity). It got it's name for a very good reason perhaps you should try and understand it.

Of course there is something wrong with how many in the UK society view union membership. This is, in no small part, the fault of the mainstream media. Of which, this website, is an offshoot.
    I note there was no campaign from the TES in opposition to the removal of the restriction requiring schools to actually employ teachers to teach.

Are you aware of how many rights you have lost since Thatcher started her hateful (and oft-times illegal) campaign against the unions? Probably not.

O, how I wish Ted Wragg had lasted longer than he did, he had such a way with words. I often imagine how he would have ridiculed such notions as join a union but not go on strike. Like a doctor who doesn't want to meet any sick people perhaps?

vannie likes this.
  13. rowboe

rowboe New commenter

Thank you to those of you have answered my question.