1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which teachers did you despise/dislike when you were at school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, Apr 14, 2019.

1. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

I recall a History teacher whose lessons consisted of him dictating his notes to us, complete with punctuation and page layout!

I can still hear him saying

" New centre title: The Chartist's Movement. Double underline. New line. Side Title, 1: Origins. Single underline. New paragraph. The Chartists Movement emerged in 1836 in response to a number of events. New paragraph. Indent. Little a, close bracket. Voting reforms in 1832 limited the vote to men who owned property. Many wanted further reforms to extend the franchise. New paragraph. Indent. Little b, close bracket. There was widespread hunger and unemployment that particularly affected the working classes......"

and so it went on. But I didn't hate him. We knew what to write in the tests and in the O level. It wasn't him who ignited my interest in History - I did that myself outside of school.

Then there was the Welsh English-teacher (!) who was most emphatic about the pronunciation of "controversy" and insisted on pain of dire consequences and public mocking that we said it correctly.
    If we first encountered him in an even numbered year it was "con TRO versy" with a long "O" in the second syllable, whereas classes who encountered him first in an odd numbered year had to say "con TROH versy" with a short "O". I only found this out when comparing notes with my younger brother who was in the year below! - I think he did it as his little act of anti-english sabotage.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes. It depends what you hoped for, expected. In my case, not much. I was unexpectedly delighted to be engaged, interested, but in the early 70s it was variable, and often depended on the personality of the teacher.
    Even the dull "start the exercises on p1 and continue to p209" ones had some success if you were any good at book work and grateful for some p&q.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My history teacher copied it all on to the board from a battered old exercise book and then we copied it into ours. We thought he was ancient but he must have been younger than I am now. He used to like talking about his experiences in the war which, in the late 60s, we found boring but would probably find fascinating now. His initials were EBW and he was always known as Ebbie.

I didn't dislike or disrespect him but, as with the previous poster, I wasn't inspired by history then and find it much more interesting now.

4. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

Ah now for THAT we had 'Spiv' Orton the German teacher. He'd been some sort of intelligence officer who was out beyond Lubeck when the war in Europe ended. One strategically timed question about what you could get back then for a cigarette (apparently for a packet of 10, the whole night....) and he would be off - if we kept it going skillfully enough he would go for the whole lesson and even forget to set Prep... und Bob ist dein Onkel! as he would say!

InkyP likes this.