1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which spec?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by cheese_cake, Apr 21, 2017.

1. cheese_cake

cheese_cake New commenter

Hello there,

I am looking through different specifications for Media Studies GCSE to teach from this coming september. It will be with a small group of SEBD pupils. Does any have any favoured exam boards to use?

Thank you in advance!

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

As all the specs are still in draft form, and have likely changed a lot since the ones uploaded on the exam boards websites, I don't think its possible to make a decision based on what is on there at the moment. I am currently AQA for GCSE but am thinking of changing to Eduqas in September. However I am withholding making a decision until the specs are accredited and confirmed, as they could be dramatically different by then.

3. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

Eduqas has been accredited for all levels but you're quite right that the others are still in the process. I will be teaching Eduqas, mainly because my department (and some of the powers that be higher up) are also Eduqas examiners. I honestly don't anticipate there being a huge disparity between the boards - the overall guidelines for spec content are relatively prescriptive in my opinion.

4. kim_stockwell

kim_stockwell New commenter

I am leaning towards Eduqas WJEC, their preparing to teach courses were so helpful as were the people there. For me I believe my students would be able to access this better than others i have seen in the drafts.

d_sarfraz likes this.
  5. amd26

amd26 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been having a look today, I am tempted by AQA's draft spec. Any thoughts?

This has been my first year teaching Media Studies so any advice would be helpful. I am currently doing WJEC.

Thanks in advance.

6. LowerEastSide

LowerEastSide New commenter

AQA have an excellent record and I have always found them to provide detailed resources and a really good Secure Web area which has a lot of valuable work on.

7. cheese_cake

cheese_cake New commenter

Brilliant thank you, I shall have a look. I always find it difficult to find a preference without having experience teaching it first!

8. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I have always taught AQA at GCSE and have found them to have good resources, clear mark schemes, and reasonably fair exam marking with some generosity at coursework level. However looking at draft specs, AQA and OCR seem to be going down the route of coursework briefs only being available a few months before the beginning of the students' Y11 year, and with briefs changing every single year, making it hard to plan ahead in terms of teaching students applicable skills or topics in their Year 10 year.

WJEC seem to have been the only exam board so far who have suggested they will release coursework briefs earlier so teachers have more time to plan around them, and that they will keep them the same potentially for maybe more than 1 year at a time.

This might be a big selling point for me what with the exams ALL looking to be much more generalised and broader. Would be nice to have some element of consistency with the exams.

9. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

From reading the comments above and my own personal take on things, I don't think there is necessarily a 'right' or 'wrong' board to go with - you need to account for what kind of students you are teaching and how many periods you actually will have with your groups. The beauty of our subject is that, set texts aside, a lot of this content can be adapted and tailored to suit your own tastes provided you cover the key content. I've only known AQA in my 7 years as a Media teacher but from September I will be working with WJEC/Eduqas as I am moving schools - it will be a refreshing change!

10. ngflblount

ngflblount New commenter

Mr_X likes this.
  11. pha2

pha2 New commenter

I've taught AQA for years but I found their sessions they provided about the draft spec to be confusing and downright off-putting. However, Eduqas seems much more straightforward and having the materials released to enable easier planning has tempted us their way.

d_sarfraz likes this.
  12. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

I'm in a similar boat. All my career I have worked with AQA but the school I'm joining in September teaches Eduqas and have staff who are involved with the exam board. I'm in the early stages of planning for the new specs and so far I'm impressed with how many resources they have already put out there - the info sheets to go along with the set texts have some really good 'ways in' for teaching. *

*This post was not sponsored in any way, shape or form by Eduqas - promise. :)

ngflblount likes this.
  13. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

WJEC (and therefore Eduqas) has been the market leader for Media Studies at A Level for quite a few years now. I think it'll be the market leader at GCSE too, soon.

14. joshfriday2002

joshfriday2002 New commenter

I've just looked at the new (draft) specs for WJEC and AQA. It appears that WJEC offer 40% for coursework whereas AQA only offer 30%. Is this right? Seems to suggest this in the specs.

15. joshfriday2002

joshfriday2002 New commenter

Ignore that. Must have been looking at an old WJEC spec.

16. CandysDog

WJEC's old spec was 60% controlled assessment.

All the new specifications are 30% non-exam assessment (for GCSE, AS and A Level).

17. weens28

weens28 New commenter

I have to decide which GCSE spec for next year. I have taught AQA for many years but I'm finding their new spec difficult to really know what they will be looking for. What spec have you decided on?

18. CandysDog

We don't teach GCSE. We're going to use WJEC Eduqas for A Level.

19. unemployedNQT

unemployedNQT New commenter

Be wary when choosing spec, a heavy analysis-based spec will back fire on you with this kind of group!