1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which simple jobs do you drag out?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Jun 16, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am currently doing some house-cleaning (I only do it every few months, when even I can no longer ignore the dust and debris). All it involves is dusting, wiping window sills & surfaces, hoovering and cleaning the bathroom in a 3 bed-roomed house.

When I worked, I could knock it off in a couple of hours, because I had to - no more time to spare.

Now - well, it's taken me over 2 hours to wipe down the kitchen surfaces and dust the lounge/dining room. I find it SOOOOOO boring that I keep finding other things to do every few minutes. And now the rain has (briefly) stopped, I'm toying with going out for a walk before dusting the conservatory.

Anyone else drag out jobs because they're so boring?

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Selling stuff on eBay. I've got things piled up on shelves around me as I type, and stacked up in a shed and the garage, but I've hardly listed anything for 12 months. There are more interesting ways to spend my life at present. :)

grumpydogwoman and chelsea2 like this.
  3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I try to delay changing the cat litter. Because as soon as I do it the blinking thing will come and do his "Do Dahs" in the clean litter. :mad:

Do all cats do that and is it on purpose?

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Emptying the dishwasher:(

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm supposed to write a monthly estate newsletter and complete an estate manager's report at the beginning of each month. Neither would be overly demanding to do if everything ran according to plan and I had sod all else to do, like it appears that senior managers have when they check that I've ticked all the boxes required of me.

In fact writing the newsletter is among the few creative opporties my job offers, so it ought to something I'd look forward to doing. The newsletter is intended to partly inform the residents about what's going on in the estate, what's going on in the housing association and partly to engage the residents in things that keep their brains active.

The last bit is an enjoyable task. The first two are tedious in the extreme, because as soon as I've written them, I find out that things have changed dramatically and what I've written, no longer applies.

Let me give you an example of something that has been going on since January.

A decision was made that the fire alarm system needed to be upgraded. It would take far too long to go into details why, but let me just say that the Grenfell Tower incident brought greater urgency into getting it done asap.

In January, just before Interserve got into trouble, they were given the contract to do the work. We had a meeting with the residents who were told the project would begin at the start of February and be completed by the end, so I put an article in the January newsletter explaining how this would affect the residents and reiterating everything they had been told at the meeting.

In February I was given a start date that the work would commence and put this in the newsletter, only to learn before I sent it out that Interserve couldn't do it in February and would start at the begining of March, so I asked the residents to let me know of any dates in March that they wouldn't be around for the engineers to have access to their flats. The residents duly obliged.

When March arrived, the engineers didn't turn up when we'd been promised and it was the devil's own job to discover why, so I had to tell the residents to disregard what I'd previously told them and I'd let them know what was going on as soon as I knew.

Before I had the chance to complete the newsletter and poke it through their doors, I had a call to tell me that work would commence on the 25th of March and would they please let me know which dates they wouldn't be in.

Guess what? The engineers never turned up.

This fiasco has been going on in fits and starts ever since, but progress has been made. We're midway through June and hopefully nearing completion, but despite doing my nut with Interserve over their incompetence in managing what ought to be a relatively simple project that they claim to be experts in, I am still unable to inform the residents when it will be completed.

It's probably best that I don't say how many times I had to intervene to ensure the building had a fire alarm system in place, because if I hadn't we'd have been left without one.

When I took this job on after I got bored with retirement, I imagined it would be far simpler than pushing back the frontiers of medical science, but I don't believe there's a job more complex than working in housing.

All the same, I'm held in high regard by the residents and my line managers by the way I run the estate and deal with the complex day to day issues of helping elderly people cope with the myriad of problems they have to cope with. but for goodness sake, save me from the impossible task of the newsletter.

I very much doubt that many of the residents read it anyway. My door is always open to those who need someone to engage with; and it's the real reason I do the job. But boxes have to be ticked, don't they?

As the H&S manager explained, you can do every compliance task required of you, but if you didn't record you've done it, it never got done.

So although I engage with the residents at every opportunity, take a keen interest in their welfare and intervene when I have concerns, someone somewhere has sod else to do apart from checking whether the likes of I ticked the boxes I am required.

How reminiscent is that last paragraph with the work that teachers do?

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just finished the cleaning - apart from the bathroon, which I will do tomorrow a.m. What a waste of a day of my life!

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Surely you don't mean this Interserve?

[​IMG]

8. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

Making a cup of tea for everyone else.

les25paul and chelsea2 like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is there another? To be fair to them, they've been providing the simple service of maintaing the fire alarm system and doing a good job with it. The issue is about them managing work they aren't equipped to do,.

The issues I've been having revolve around the fact that that Interserve employed sub-contractors to do the work and were unable to manage them effetively. The contractors they employed came from several busineses based in south Wales. I have to give them credit for being lovely and very patient people, but they were a three-hours drive away from the site and a three-hour drive back.

Last week, the poor sods were working until 11:00pm to try and complete the work they would get paid for, or not if they failed to. There are plenty of local fire alarm compamies locally who could have done the work without all that traveling, so what's that all about?

I'll tell you what it's about. The cheapest quote. The good people of south Wales need to earn a living just as much as the good people of Hampshire do, it's just that those from south Wales are more desperate to make ends meet than those who live locally.

However if someone had tasked me with getting the fire alarm replaced. I'd have gotten quotes from local contractors, far cheaper than Inyerserve's bill and have been able to kick who's arrse needed kicking to get the job completed on time.

It's all part of that tick box culture and avoidance of taking resposibibity.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

None. If I've formed A PLAN, i am on it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

During term time on Saturdays after waking it has been known to take me up to 26 hours to actually stand up-does that count?

agathamorse, Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

13. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I just avoid starting any jobs I hate doing.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Yes. Very probably.

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Same here. So when the dishwasher broke a few years ago we decided not to get another one. Sometimes thee pots pile up at the sink when I put off washing them but I do prefer life without the dishwasher.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Since I've been at home I've started washing bits and pieces by hand and then drying them and putting them away - Voila, job done!

agathamorse likes this.
  18. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes, they feel the need to mark the new tray as their territory.
    As you know, cats have staff and you are their staff. Just change that tray.
    I sometimes put it off because I can't quite be bothered and then I think that I don't like a smelly loo, so why should my cats have to put up with it?

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Getting a leg out of bed in the morning as there little of interesting things to get up for..in the end your bladder sort of makes you! :D

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• selling stuff on eBay. Ditto. @magic surf bus
    • garden tidying: pulling up the bullrushes before they choke the pond, stopping some willow/rush screening from peeling off the fence, weeding the front drive, tidying all Her Maj's shed rubbish
    • darning my tights!!!!!