1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which set of standards do I need to prove I am meeting to go through the threshold?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by SANGER_A2, May 18, 2011.

1. This is probably a really stupid post. I've read all the FAQs and government sites I could and searched around on here.

I am on M5. I want to make sure that I am ready for next year when I need to apply to go on from M6 to UP1. I've been reading a lot about the standards and I'm not sure if I actually need to provide evidence that I am actually meeting the core standards or the post-threshold standards or none.

It seems to be that if you apply and have two successful Performance Management Reviews then you go on to UP1. Do I need to have stuff to do with the standards in the PMRs or does it not matter? I'm in charge of ICT KS3 so my PMR targets will be to do with updating the SOW and putting stuff on the VLE etc. In other words, should I start trying to do extra stuff now that I am "contributing to the professional development of colleagues" etc etc now?

Sorry if these are dumb questions! :)

2. This is probably a really stupid post. I've read all the FAQs and government sites I could and searched around on here.

I am on M5. I want to make sure that I am ready for next year when I need to apply to go on from M6 to UP1. I've been reading a lot about the standards and I'm not sure if I actually need to provide evidence that I am actually meeting the core standards or the post-threshold standards or none.

It seems to be that if you apply and have two successful Performance Management Reviews then you go on to UP1. Do I need to have stuff to do with the standards in the PMRs or does it not matter? I'm in charge of ICT KS3 so my PMR targets will be to do with updating the SOW and putting stuff on the VLE etc. In other words, should I start trying to do extra stuff now that I am "contributing to the professional development of colleagues" etc etc now?

Sorry if these are dumb questions! :)

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Google 'post threshold standards teaching' and something should come up :)

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

You have to meet the C(ore) standards to be considered for passing through the Threshold. You have to meet the P(ost Threshold) Standards to get UPS, and continue to meet them to get UPS2 and 3 over the following 4 years.
    Watch out for the mentoring colleagues standard, it's a bit of a trip -up but also look at the definition of what a colleague is.
    Your PMRs should contain objective in line with the P standards and your reviewer should know this - a bad sign if they don't.

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

It's always worth keeping a portfolio of evidence of meeting the 10 standards (if only to use at PM Reviews) but strictly speaking it's only unattached teachers (supply etc) who should need a portfolio as they continue to be assessed in the old way with an application form.

6. dobelove

dobelove New commenter

Thank you for your response but I have been desperately seeking any info on this and your post is the best info that I have found. Ok excuse the seemingly silly question, but where on earth do I find the details to locate the CP standards that you refer to?
    Briefly, I had a quick 20 min chat with Head last year with promise that something would be put in writing and given to me, this never happened (nor for any other staff member) At my insistence, I am due to have PM meeting with Asst Head next week.
    I am on M6 and have been for a year so I know that I should apply by Oct 31 but not finding any help with what evidence to assist me complete form as do not feel I have anything to say.
    Finally, have spoken to colleagues and despite completing and submitting folders for their PM they were not looked at and the last person didnt even bother was told to fill in the form and leave it and she went thru Threshold so really confused. Would appreciate any help

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

The standards and rules regarding threshold are in the STPCD, the standards were also available on the TDA site, whihc has probably been taken down and archived along with so many others.
    Message me or leave an email here andI'll sendyou the STPCD PDF.
    One point to mention, there is no form to fill in any more, you just have to submit a simple request for consideration and the decision will be made on the basis of your last 2 performance management reviews.

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

it's here: https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationdetail/Page1/DFE-00516-2010#downloadableparts