1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which SEN resources would you recommend for a new school?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Cherabell56, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I have just been appointed as a SENCo at a new school (school is still being built!). I need to order SEN resources but I am not sure where to start. We are starting from scratch so need everything (all suggestions welcome) but EAL resource ideas would be great.

2. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

What a great job! Presume it is secondary?
    Couple of ideas
    1. i would order all the standard tests GRT II Group reading tests etc.
    2. Living Maths series. My favourite maths books! Titles include "at the theme park,"
    Lots of visuals so great for EAL
    3. Toe by Toe phonics program. I personally think this is best phonics programme I have ever used.
    It's expensive as the students need their own manual but worth it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toe-Structured-Multi-sensory-Reading-Teachers/dp/0952256401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303840635&sr=8-1

good luck

3. I have adapted all the reading and spelling resources that I made for primary age children with special needs. They are the same resources but I have changed most of the pictures to be more suitable for older pupils. There are examples of the primary resources on my website but I can send a complete list and examples of the adapted resources if you email me. Although the resources were initially made for children with dyslexia, they are appropriate for all children with reading and spelling difficulties.The resources are sent out on a CD.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

4. It is actually a primary school but I will definitely look into these, especially with regard to upper ks2. Thank you so much for the advice!

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Take a look at Nessy Learning Programme 4 on www.nessy.com . It's a fantastic phonics programme.

6. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Have you seen the online resource www.languagegarden.org - reading required but a wide spread of activities for learning grammar and vocabulary. Suitable for EAL readers - say 7y or 8y up. Have a look.

7. B squared - assessment

8. BPVS Test
    British Picture Vocabulary Scale - I use this alot - great for showing progress with verbal undertsanding.

9. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I'd go for PIVATS assessment to break down the P levels and NC level 1-3 in core subjects rather than B squared, but look at both and decide what's best for your situation.
    Also look at symbols... Widget sym wrtier would be my choice with maybe Communicate in print to help make resources if I could aford both. (same symbols, different ways of using them). You could also look at Mayers Johnson symbols (boardmaker) they are more primary. Check out which symbols your local special schools are using and try to fit with them to help transfers.

10. gcf

gcf

Cherabell - have a look at www.piperbooks.co.uk and if you think that the books would suit your needs, do get in touch and I'll send you some samples . The books are very thoroughly researched and trialled and particularly suit SEN and EAL children.

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I was in the same position in that I had to set up a brand new SEN hub 2 years ago. From experience my tips are:
    - Do your research carefully - which literacy programme will you be using to help your children? You will need a structured programme of sorts - there are lots and everyone will have their recommendations (me included) but that is not important - it needs to be whaty ou are confident in and what you think will suit your children and your staff - visit other schools in the area if necessary. Once you have decided this then buy the resources either linked to this or resources that will supplement it. Buying lots of 'bits' that look good and haven't got a structure around them won't help you in the long term. There are lots of lovely phonic books around for example but if these don't link in to the teaching you will be doing then there is not point to them.
    - If maths is to be a teaching focal point then the same as above. There is less debate for maths for some reason - but things such as Numicon can be useful.
    - Will you be required to assess children? What for? Make sure you buy a set of assessment resources that cover all areas - ones that assess reading, vocabulary, speech, maths etc. You don't need lots but good quality ones that you can learn inside out and are confident with. Again different people will have different recommendations so try to look at some if you can.
    - Will you be running social groups? There are schemes etc out to help with this.
    -How will IEPs be written in your school? Do you need to consider something like IEP writer or will teachers be writing them themselves in another format?

Hope this has given you something to think about.