1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which qualification to go for for teaching abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aliyahsiabdellah, Jun 13, 2019.

?

Which qualification is better?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2019.
  1. TEFL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. CELTA

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hey guys...
    I will be getting my QTS next year and planning on moving to abroad to teach Primary aged children.
    I am currently working as an unqualified teacher in an independent primary school and have teaching experience.
    Which is the best qualification to go for to teach abroad? TEFL, CELTA or any others. Also any recommended facilitators.
    Thanks in advance ;)

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

CELTA is regarded as the better option here in China but TEFL is also well regarded for ESL and EAL work.

What method of gaining your QTS are you undertaking, if you are working in a school already I assume it will be the Graduate Training Program? QTS alone will get allow you to employed directly as a teacher without a CELTA/TEFL in many countries, but some countries do not regard a GTP/QTS qualifies for a work visa alone.

I would also complete the NQT/Induction year in a UK school as this is registered on the GTC website for future employers to check your status.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

If you want the best options, then the same as you would expect in the UK. CELTA / TEFL restricts you because if decent schools are looking for qualified teachers then they will expect to see QTS, and in a lot of countries you will need a degree in the subject you are teaching.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello, aliyahsiabdellah! Perhaps you have seen one or two of my posts on this TES "Teaching Abroad" forum. I have sent you a TES Conversation and maybe I could be of some help to you.