1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which post-war government would have handled the Covid-19 pandemic best?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 22, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Listening to Johnson's attempt to blame the British people for the rise in infections and lie about the efforts his incompetent government has been making to control the spread of the disease, it occurred to me that there's only so much a government can do without the support of the people it governs.

Irrespective of which side of the political divide you favour, I think we will all agree that what's needed in a crisis is decisive action made by a leader which the nation trusts to have its best interests at heart; and is therefore likely to follow whatever rules the government imposes to see us over the crisis.

In any list of the best and worse PMs, you'll find names associated with change for the better, such as those in power when the NHS was introduced, the death penalty was abolished, or equality legislation finaly came about. There are some who gave the economy a boost and some that changed the balance of wealth one way or another between rich and poor, but among all those PMs, which would you rather have in power now, if trust in the government is what's required to see us through the pandemic misery?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Politician
    Honesty
    Integrity
    etc etc etc all in one sentence?

ha ha ha ha ha ha :confused: ha ha ha ha ha :confused: ha ha ha ha ha

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

They would not have the technologly to deal with the virus.In '47 theyre was a massive death toll and infection from flue.They could do little.If i rememeber right thay couldnt even bury the dear as it was a terrible winter.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Probs one of Thatcher's

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

They never had the technology to deal with Spanish flu, but in the USA, some states dealt with it far better than others, and the reason they were able to basically boiled down trust that the state governance was competent, so they followed the guidance.

Technology is far better these days, but centralised government is worse. It's impossible to fight a war on the assumption that the threat is identical everywhere. Wars are won through defeating a succession of local battles. Good leaders delegate power. Poor leaders try to retain universal control, usually losing the plot when they suspect their other objectives might be compromised by relinquishing some of their power.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I seem to recall that fiddling the numbers of deaths due to a specific cause was done during and after the "great smog" in the early fifties which I cannot remember the year of or the death toll. Some smartypanys will look it up, ta? I recall that "deaths" were only recorded as being due to respiratory problems caused by the smog if they occurred a certain number of days or weeks after the event (like they are doing with Covid deaths), when in fact deaths were still going on after months. However, it was a different scenario really and the air quality in general then was terrible, and the NHS had much less technology.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well we know it couldn't be the Conservative government of 1957 when:
    • The UK was completely unprepared for a pandemic
    • Central government was criticised for months for it's inaction as the virus spread across the world and took hold in the UK.
    • Local authorities strugged to improvise protection in the face of government messages.
    • Ministers blamed the press for reporting the crisis.
    • Over 30,000 people may have died.
    • A blase and near-invisible PM (Macmillan didn't even mention the crisis in his party conference speech)
    Such a change from the Conservative government management of a pandemic that started 52 years later, eh?

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Thatcher.

Simply because she would have had the guts to choose a way and stick by it and - crucially - we all would know exactly what her way was.

LondonCanary likes this.
  9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The post war government of Rwanda has an effective track and trace system up and running.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This Tweet is spot on:

"For Johnson to lecture us about lawbreaking after Barnard Castle is extraordinary; for him to do it after the Internal Market Bill is simply unbelievable. I don’t think there was ever such a dearth of moral authority in a Prime Minister".

Post War Governments which would have handled the crisis best? Clem Attlee's Government of 1945-51.

But probably only Ted Heath's 1970-74 would have done worse... And maybe not even them.

11. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

I agree that Thatcher would have decided on a course of action and stick to it - simultaneously her strength and her weakness. The latter applies especially to her total inability to entertain the idea that she could be wrong about anything, ever. She would have gone on insisting she was right even whilst the dead were piled hundreds deep in the streets.