1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which point on MPS could I be on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nickirice123, Jan 21, 2020.

1. nickirice123

nickirice123 New commenter

Hi,
    I started off teaching in the UK, completed my NQT year then taught for 2 more years and then have been teaching abroad for three years. I am back in the UK completing an MA in Education and am planning to look for teaching jobs in September.
    So my question is with 6 years of teaching experience and an MA what point on the MPS could I expect to be on starting a new job?
    Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. nickirice123

nickirice123 New commenter

Can you please explain why only M1? Surely my experience counts for something?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You could be offered M1 but it will all depend what you can negotiate.

If you've only been outside the UK for 3 years you will know that national pay scales were abolished in 2013 so schools can pay you as little as they want to if you are prepared to work for it. Subject to each school's individual Pay Policy. I'd hope that they will offer you more than bottom of scale but they don't have to. You will have to negotiate your own pay, you have no entitlements.

Never accept a job offer until you have the actual salary in ££,£££ in writing. Don't accept offers saying things like 'MPS scale' or 'M4'. Their 'scale' might not mean what you think it does.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It depends on things like how much cash the school has, how much they like you compared with other applicants, how many people apply for the job etc. And how good you are at negotiating. If you impress and you are in a shortage subject, you will probably get above the bottom of the scale.

All good advice from @Rott Weiler above. Especially the second paragraph.