1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which payscale should I be on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MissyMs, Sep 10, 2018.

1. MissyMs

MissyMs New commenter

I’m trying to find out which payscale I will be on once I find a post in the UK. I did 2 years (including my NQT year) in England. Then I moved overseas to teach for 3 years (British curriculum School if that helps). Then I did a year of regular supply work in England, then a year doing 3 days a week in England. The past 3 years in another international British curriculum school overseas). I want to return to the UK this year but have no idea how much pay I’ll be on to calculate my finances. Anyone got a clue as to how I find out? Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

The answer is simply "whatever pay you can negotiate with your new school".
    There are NO national pay scales anymore.

border_walker and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Probably on the main pay range, which has a minimum of about £23k, more in London. With your experience, you might get more than this if they like you or can't find anybody else. You only find out the exact figure when you are at the negotiation stage. By the way, you must negotiate and know the salary before accepting a job offer.

My guess would be that you might be able to get somewhere in the middle of the main pay range, perhaps £26k - £28k outside London, but that is sheer speculation. So much depends on supply and demand in the area. And how much cash the school has.

If you are thinking of working in the state sector in the UK, download and read STPCD and the Burgundy Book. Then you will know what the rules really say. It is better to be forewarned!

Flanks and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Under the old system, one point above where you were last paid in the UK, with the opportunity to request an additional point or two for relevant experience overseas. Some schools/LAs do still maintain the old system!

Typically at the moment, the same point you were last paid on.

Potentially, anywhere from M1-M6, therefore make sure you clarify what you are being offered!

Flanks and border_walker like this.