1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which pay scale point if returning to teaching?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by scarliell, Feb 23, 2016.

1. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

I left teaching 2.5 years ago after a 10 year career and am considering returning to teaching in September on a part-time basis. When I left I was on UPS3, clearly I realise I would not be awarded this level of pay now but I wondered which point on the main pay range I might be offered?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welcome back!

The point is that there is no national pay scale any more, and a school will offer you:

a) What fits in its Pay Policy

b) What it can afford

c) The minimum it thinks it can offer you and you'll accept!

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

It is up to you in your application to show that you would be value for money, provide more than a cheaper member of staff. Because if you can't, Why would we appoint you? will be their point of view.

Have you read all the applications advice, by the way? Tag me @TheoGriff if not and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes

3. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

Many thanks Theo, it makes me wonder what other things have occurred that I've missed in my time away! I have kept my ear to the ground with many issues in education but not this one, what other changes I should know about?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How long have you got?

:)

The best thing is to go to the relevant forum (Primary, or Early Years, or your subject) and ask there.

Best wishes