1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which pay scale do I belong to?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Aby, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Aby

Aby New commenter

Hi
    I haven't taught for about 5 years and wish to take on a PPA or part time teaching role (whichever comes first).
    My question is, how do I work out my pay scale? I was on MPS3 when I stopped teaching, will I have to start from that level or do I automatically move up? I have no idea what has been going on with teachers' pay as I completely switched off from the profession due to mega stress but I feel ready to return and would like to have an idea of what I am likely to earn.
    Thank you.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Pay portability has ended any certain answer to your question. Essentially it now appears to be whatever the stronger party can get away with. If you're one of several outstanding candidates for a post (I don't recognise this scenario) then you'll be grateful to work on MPS1:(

Better still it's you or nobody and then you can point out that you've made these brilliant improvements in your absence and so deserve MPS6.:)

Do you have to go directly into a permanent post? Try long-term supply, the pay rate can be negotiated upwards if you feel indispensable enough and you will then know how to best pitch your salary should it become long-term.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Don't forget to negotiate your salary before accepting a job.

4. Aby

Aby New commenter

Thanks for responding.
    I do like the sound of the possibility of MPS6 and can most certainly present the brilliant things I have done since I've been away ;) they should make very good bargaining points.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Just a warning, most schools seem to be negotiating down! Unless you can offer a subject that is much sought after AND with a shortage of candidates ( eg maths) then be prepared to be offered M1!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. Aby

Aby New commenter

Gotcha!
    I do get what you're saying and I MUST be realistic about the possibilities of starting from scratch. That's a bit of an OUCH! but I understand that's how it is now but a girl's got to be hopeful that a school would find her amazingly wonderful and at least not offer so low :)

I was reading this old article from tes: https://www.tes.com/news/blog/no-mo...more-pay-scale-no-more-automatic-moving-scale

It says that schools use 'pay points' rather than the old pay scale that I'm used to. I am in discussion with a possible employer and just need to know as much as possible so I don't sound/look so dumb when it comes to discussing pay.

I appreciate the comments written so far :)

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, go for it and good luck!

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

While you're at these discussions ask for a copy of the Pay Policy. It will be accessible to all staff via an intranet and there shouldn't be any problem e-mailing it to you. If you want to disguise this request then ask for the disciplinary/capability/appraisal/[any HR policies]. It's a good idea to ask for these anyway and a good way of delaying acceptance of any offer as well.

9. Aby

Aby New commenter

That's a very good idea, thanks for the heads up! I have a meeting with them on Monday, so ...