1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which pay scale am I entitled to be paid on?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pam771771, Nov 1, 2015.

1. pam771771

pam771771 New commenter

Hi, I was hoping someone may be able to answer my query regarding pay scales.

I am currently being paid on the Leadership Scale as a member of SLT. I am however considering moving back to just a Classroom Teacher position due to my personal circumstances.

Prior to being paid on the Leadership Scale I was on M6. I did not cross the threshold due to being given a promotion and going straight onto the Leadership Scale (I have been on the leadership scale for 18 months in total).

If I was to take a job as a classroom teacher would I start on the Upper Pay Scale, as I would have moved onto this had I not have taken the promotion that was paid on the leadership scale, or will I have to do M6 again?

Thanks in advance.
    Pam

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

The exception to this is if you stay at the same school. Then the old rule that being paid on the Leadership Spine automatically entitles you to be paid on the Upper Pay Range combines nicely with the rule that you cannot lose pay if you stay put.

This is explicitly covered in the STPCD:

14.2. A relevant body must pay a teacher on the upper pay range if:

[...]

c) the teacher was employed as a member of the leadership group in that school, has continued to be employed at that school without a break in the continuity of their employment, was first appointed as such on or after 1 September 2000, and occupied such a post or posts for an aggregate period of one year or more.​

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@CandysDog I guess the school would expect a class teacher paid on UPS to carry out duties above and beyond those of a main scale teacher, in line with other class teachers on UPS. In the OP's case I am guessing they are moving back to the classroom due to the poor work/life balance of their leadership post, so might want to volunteer to take a pay cut. Bit of a tricky one.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well spotted @CandysDog ! I'd forgotten that. Only works if they follow TPSD of course, which the school might not do. So need to check that.

And good point there @snowyhead .

Best wishes

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It also requires the current school to agree to the OP dropping down to classroom teacher level and having the appropriate vacancy, of course...

snowyhead and midnight_angel like this.
  7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Perhaps, though if the school did agree to the original poster stepping down, then it would have no choice but to pay on UPR.

Also, in my school, UPR teachers aren't expected to do anything more than MPR teachers, exceot to be highly competent in the Teachers' Standards – the original definition of post-threshold. I know not all schools are still like this, but I imagine many are.

(That said, my school still honours pay portability, so the original poster would be entitled to the UPR if moving to my school. Maybe we're a relic...)

8. pam771771

pam771771 New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I thought it might be a case of me having to negotiate my pay, which it looks like is the case. At least I won't be going in blind.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that you may well be,. unfortunately.

Best wishes