1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which part-time training options are really part time?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by communitymuso, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I've been looking into part-time options for teacher training, as I have a health condition which generally prevents me from be able to manage a regular full-time working week. Although ideally I'd be best off working shorter hours each day, for the sake of being in the job I really want, I could manage a typical job-share situation as a teacher (e.g. 2 or 2.5 days a week). However, I have to train first, and herein lies the problem!
    I was actually accepted on to a full-time SCITT course a couple of years ago, but my health worsened around the same time, and I wasn't able to accept the place. Since then, I've found every PGCE/SCITT that's described as "part-time" seems to include at least one full-time placement, which is just not feasible for me. I know GTP can be done part-time (and I'd prefer GTP anyway), but I can't find an EBITT in my area (North East England) which offers it, and moving isn't really an option. Although I've heard some EBITTs will take you on even if you're not quite in their area? Does anyone know anything about this?
    Is anyone out there on a course which is completely part-time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions/advice for me? All help gratefully received - I'm not ready to give up on my dream yet!
    Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Hi.
    I've been looking into part-time options for teacher training, as I have a health condition which generally prevents me from be able to manage a regular full-time working week. Although ideally I'd be best off working shorter hours each day, for the sake of being in the job I really want, I could manage a typical job-share situation as a teacher (e.g. 2 or 2.5 days a week). However, I have to train first, and herein lies the problem!
    I was actually accepted on to a full-time SCITT course a couple of years ago, but my health worsened around the same time, and I wasn't able to accept the place. Since then, I've found every PGCE/SCITT that's described as "part-time" seems to include at least one full-time placement, which is just not feasible for me. I know GTP can be done part-time (and I'd prefer GTP anyway), but I can't find an EBITT in my area (North East England) which offers it, and moving isn't really an option. Although I've heard some EBITTs will take you on even if you're not quite in their area? Does anyone know anything about this?
    Is anyone out there on a course which is completely part-time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions/advice for me? All help gratefully received - I'm not ready to give up on my dream yet!
    Thank you. [​IMG]