1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which option would you take?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by chicme, Jan 30, 2016.

?

Would you stay in the second placement for the next half term?

1. Yes, the time is worth it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, run now

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. chicme

chicme New commenter

I am in my second placement school which is very close to my home. My first placement, which I am supposed to go back to after half term, is about an hour away. I have children so the journey takes a lot out of my day.

The training I have received at my second placement has not been good enough in my opinion whereas the training in my first school was intense. I haven't received much feedback, targets, etc in my second placement.

I have been offered the chance to stay on a further term before moving back to finish my placement in my first school. My conflict here is the journey times would still be less, I am much less stressed than I was at my first school as I have more time. I also have £150 extra in my pocket as I don't travel far. However, I am concerned the lack of good training will affect the quality of teacher I can become? Or can I pull this back in the last term?

Your opinions would be very welcome.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I see your dilemma. My first thought would be to return to the school where you feel you are getting decent training. However, the more time/less stress combination does seem like a valid argument for staying where you are. Could you speak to your current school about them offering you more observations, feedback and targets to work towards? If they agree, that would be the best of both worlds.

chicme likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You affect the quality of teacher you become. Your skills and ability as a teacher should grow and develop over your whole career and if you are committed to that then a few months, even at this stage, won't make much difference in the long term. If you stay at the second school, ensure you use the extra time well. Reflect on your own lessons, seek out people to discuss them with and take control of your own development.

Lara mfl 05, DYNAMO67 and chicme like this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't think that there is anything wrong with making a call that suits your life. It may not be the ideal placement; if it costs less though, gives you more time and stresses you less....

You may have to take some ownership for the learning experience though. At school one they did that for you. At two, it may be as good, you just have to drive it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

100% go to the school where you felt supported. Money is nothing against being in a good placement.