1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which one of you did that?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jraphael, Apr 30, 2014.

1. I'm a PGCE science student with a class of year 7s whose behaviour is known in the school for being challenging. I've observed them with other teachers and they are worse with me than with the others. It's an area of focus in the final weeks before my final report, and I'm concerned that in the limited time left I won't have shown I can get them on side!

Particularly, I have trouble spotting who is responsible for something. If I turn away from some students (which in a lab like ours is impossible not to do without strafing around the edges of it like a paranoid schizophrenic), they will often start a game of 'who can get away with shouting something random/rude / making animal noises. This noise, once started, then bounces around the class between three, four, or maybe more students.

I'm having a real time trying to pin down who did it, and they know I can't figure it out which makes it all the more humiliating. Above all, it's becoming increasingly frustrating and I'm finding it harder and harder to stay the 'cool bureaucrat' - what should I do?

2. re

re New commenter

You must be able to narrow it down to one group. Keep that group in after school or lunch time until one owns up. If the rest complain it's unfair - they can dob them in. DO NOT waste lesson time providing amusement for the little darlings, as it clearly becoming a sporting activity for them. If they complain, tell them to disassociate themselves from the stupid behaviour in future.

You have to be ruthless, otherwise they shall get worse.

3. Exactly.

Do not shout. Simply tell them that they will get detention if they start it again. This time even if not the whole group, at least a couple of them will try you out to see if you are consistent and will do as you said you will. Then depending on at which stage of the lesson you are (i.e. at the end of the lesson or middle of it) either keep the class behind, or stop the lesson and get someone in (patrol/on-call/HoD etc to have them removed) until those who started it again despite your last warning stand up and have themselves identified. The pressure of the whole class waiting will make them stand up and have themselves identified. Then they should be removed and also get detention.

Makes me wonder whether the class teacher is not in when you take them as a student teacher or whether the teacher does absolutely nothing. Good luck anyway.