1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which numeracy block should I be starting after the easter break? Please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Apr 10, 2011.

1. inq

inq

It's all non-statutory, you can teach any maths in any order. You don't have to teach any of the blocks as blocks, they do ensure coverage if you do it all exactly as prescribed. We often look at where the children seem weakest and spend more time on that. Probably not a very helpful answer but basically don't worry too much, ideally you should be on A/B/C/D/E 3 this term.

2. You should work on the block that you think needs to be taught for example if you have taught A and B last term then you should really be teaching the contents of C, D and E.
    It doesn't really matter what order you do them in but make sure you are covering the different areas of mathematics, make sure you have covered handling data, shape and space etc.
    What you SHOULD NOT BE DOING is cramming for SAT's optional or otherwise.
    If you have delivered quality teaching throughout the year you do not need to be cramming! A little revision and reminder could be taught in one or two lessons prior to the testing but maths should carry on as normal up until the test week really!

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Don't teach any of the blocks; make a decision about what, in your professional decision, the children in your teaching group need to learn, ensuring coverage of the National Curriculum.
    Making these decisions is an important element of a process known as "teaching".

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Do precisely as WolfPaul says, yet put block A3 in your planning folder to fool those pesky SMT types.
    No-one ever notices.

5. Oh get real - maybe cramming was the wrong word, but most teachers will be "filling in the gaps" before any summative testing in May and then return to blocks after that.
    Put what you like in the planning, do what the children need in your teaching.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I won't. None of the other teachers in my school will.
    I've only ever known Y6 teachers do this. Do teachers of other year groups really cram/fill the gaps/whatever before optional QCAs?
    Whatever for?

7. Filling in what gaps? If you are assessing and evaluating your children properly throughout the year then there shouldn't really be any gaps - maybe some with SEN children obviously! What is the point of teaching to the test how will it benefit your children?

In the long run it could be damaging - children will go up into next year with inflated results and could miss out on teaching and interventions they need because of it!

8. No - most teachers will continue to teach their classes and see optional SATs for what they are, a very small part of what should be ongoing teacher assessment.

9. Hmm, if only that was true. In my school, planning is scrutinised in detail and deviation is often commented upon by the HT (Her: "I see you said you were going to be doing x10 and 100 as your starter, why were you doing halving decimals work yeterday when I came through?" Me: "We needed to revise it after a mental maths test when I realised the children needed to go backover halving decimals such as 13.2 or 4.7" HT usually tuts at this point and walks off to fill in a form or chat on the phone to another HT in her office...

10. Make sure you date and annotate your planning accordingly. That should satisfy your HT.

11. I do, but HT has to have copies before it's taught, and will then cross-reference what she thought should have happened against her copy....

12. get out get out quick!

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsHub.aspx