1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which musical? (Small Rock Band)

Discussion in 'Music' started by misssmusic, Feb 28, 2011.

1. misssmusic

misssmusic New commenter

Last year I managed to finally get a band together to provide live music for our musical We Will Rock You. It was brilliant and really suited the pupils at my school (its mainly guitarists/drummers/vocalists), we have very few 'traditional' instrumentalists.

I am now looking for our next musical and I'd love to be able to do the live music again with a small band (drums, bass, 2 guitars and keyboards/piano). The pupils in the band enjoyed the experience so much and it was great for other pupils/staff in the school to see as well.

Ive been having a look but Im not sure really. I was looking for a Blues Brothers musical but there doesn't seem to be one available. Also looked into Fame but drama teacher is worried about the suicide bit in the script?!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, really want to keep up the momentum now!

thanks

(we did Grease and Bugsy Malone the previous years - with backing tracks!)

2. One of the music schools where I work here in France, did "The Commitments" It was before I worked there so I've only heard that it was a good show to do - the film is excellent. Have a look for it. If you don't know it, it's mostly soul music.

3. Have a look for a piece called "Dracula Spectacular". It's very cheesy, but is accompanied by a rock band!

4. nattig

nattig New commenter

I did this when I myself was at Secondary School and it was fantastic!!

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Agree. I've done this twice (once as a student, once as the music director); it's really good. Rock band music, good singable songs, fun storylines... and cheaper than Broadway/West-End-type musicals for rights licence.

6. Try 'Our House' - the Madness musical.

7. r_l

r_l

I second Our House! It is a fantastic show, has a good storyline the kids can relate to and the music is great (well if you like Madness - I wasnt but am now converted). Another good one is Little Shop of Horrors or Return to the Forbidden Planet. Good luck!

8. How about "Return to the Forbidden Planet" - It's based very loosely on Shakesperes The Tempest but all of the music is 50's and 60's Rock 'n' Roll classics.

Or Blood Brothers... You're pretty much looking at a soul band setup for that so you could involve the 'traditional' instrumentalists too!