1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which MEd course would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Chrissi 01, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Chrissi 01

Chrissi 01 New commenter

Dear all
    I want to take an MEd in Educational Leadership. I'm looking for a PT course rather than distance learning.
    The University of Buckingham course seems very popular, and I like what I have read about it - but does anyone know of any negatives I should weigh up?
    There are also other providers.
    Could people who have enjoyed their course and found it helpful please tell me which course they took and why it was so good?!
    Many thanks :)

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Former colleagues have taken the Buckingham course - it was very manageable alongside work, but not especially rigorous in terms of reading or assignments. A couple who had previously studied at MSc / PhD level said that the Buckingham course was a bit Mickey Mouse compared to what they had been used to.

I took a similar course at Bristol - good teaching and high quality readings, but if I was applying now I would want some guarantees about group sizes and staffing ratios - in my year group they were overwhelmed by international students (some with poor English) such that seminar groups were 35+ for some core units.

I was doing mine full-time as a sabbatical year after my school closed, and I have now found another job I'm very happy in - it's debatable how much of that was down to the MSc and how much was just about having time to reflect!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm in the middle of doing the Buckingham one and it seems blinkin hard work to me!
    The reading is what you make it. You could read light rubbish or you could read dry, dull tomes or a mix of the two.

I enjoyed the residential taught parts of the course, writing essays and dissertations much less so.