1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which locations offer the best opportunity to save money?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ChaiLattePlease, Oct 17, 2017.

1. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

And in my experience that - the assumption about the pay - is not necessarily true. It's not true in my current location where the A-level school pays more than the IB school a short distance away.

Apologies if that's not what you were trying to say but it's what often comes across when I read the posts.

2. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Are we talking about British schools that don’t do the IB paying less? What about the British schools that do the IB?

3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Are we talking about British schools that don’t do the IB paying less? What about the British schools that do the IB?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I was talking about IB schools v british curriculum schools. Because in all my experience i cant think of one british curriculum school that pays better than an IB school in the same city.
    I would be interested to know form anyone that knows of any

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"the lack of duties, payment for extra curricular activities and civilised working hours'

Well Perce you are very fortunate but it sounds like you and dumbells are talking about an American style school there. I am at an 'IB school' of twenty years standing and I have to do; two duties a week, a compulsory extra curricular activity once a week which is unpaid, we have two secondary school meetings a week and a Dept. meeting once a week.

In the first place there is no such thing as an IB School. There are schools that are accredited by the IBO to run one or more of their four programmes. In brief this entails the payment of quite a large sum of money and then a visit by a small team (3 or 4) of senior managers from other schools, who spend two or three days looking at your school checking some documentation and leaving making some suggestions about how to improve.

There are no requirements from the IBO about pay, teaching load, duties and other extraneous activities such as extra-curricular activities, and frequency of meetings etc. These are all at the discretion of the school.

Finally, many Britsh Curriculum schools now run the IB Diploma (e.g. most of the Ford Anglia schools) and large numbers of American schools both in the US and internationally now run the IB Diploma as well as their other programmes.

The IB Programmes are a curriculm NOT a school management system

6. dumbbells66

I world in 3 IB world schools, not American style schools.

7. dumbbells66

Perhaps i should also say that i am a workshop leader and part of the IB school accreditation team, so yes i do know just a little bit about them.

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

We are an IB World School. PYP, MYP and DP. I think that the point is that many IB schools tend to be more enlightened than the British ones, here in Bangkok there is a school which offers the IB Diploma but it also offers IGCSE and styles itself a "British" school. Many staff last only a couple of years, however, because of the ludicrous expectations when it comes to ECA's and duties etc.
    Please try to not to lecture us all.......

Half term begins right now.....

Perce

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

More support for the well known phrase about a little bit of knowledge ;)

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If you work on IB visiting teams, it’s a little surprising that you don’t know that the IB doesn’t ACCREDIT schools. It AUTHORIZES them.

11. dumbbells66

I do unfortunately my autocorrect changed it, and i missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

My actual title is "school visit team member", but lets not get bogged down in technicalities ;)

12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Depends. Clearly though, an "IB School" means one that is IB all the way through rather than one that engages in a bit of DP on top of a British or American or other curriculum. Who pays best depends very much on the location and a lot of other factors. But my guess (based on a bit of wandering around) is that, in a given location, the go to school for IB pays more than the go to school for "British curriculum" and " American curriculum" more often than not. There are many excpetions.

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Technically by the IB’s own rules, an “IB World School” is any school authorized to offer one or more IB programmes.
    Where individuals draw the line on IB schools is up to the individual, but there are many possibilities.

14. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yep. But in the IB vs US vs Brit comparison maybe best to think of an IB school as an IB all through one.