1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

which level 2 music tech qual ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by i the t, Jul 7, 2011.

1. i the t

i the t New commenter

I've just found out who my y10 group is going to be in Septmber and they're not suitable for GCSE.
    We don't do music in ks3 so some of them know literally nothing.
    I looked at NCFE extended certificate in Music tech which seemed ideal
    but according to the school it doesn't offer value for money as only gives 21 credits
    over 160 hrs (0.25 of a gcse).

So I'm trying to find an alternate course with a tech focus but there isn't a btec level 2 for music tech as far as i can see...

I was thinking perhaps of doing the ncfe in 1 year and then doing something else for the rest of
    the credits in y11.

any advice ?

2. If you choose the units carefully on the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Music then you can get something with a strong Music Technology bias. Might be worth a look at the units you can choose from.
    I delivered the NCFE until 5 years ago (to a group of 14-16s who came into my college to do it) and found it quite easy to navigate and deliver.
    I'm not aware of any other quals at level 2.

3. i the t

i the t New commenter

thanks,

I'm not sure how a level 2 qual can only be worth 1/4 of a gcse though ?
    Our exam officer says the 21 credits equals that but looking at an equivalence table
    it says a level 1 qual is equal to a d-g grade at gcse.

Also there's 160 guided hours which is more than gcse I think so it doesn't make sense..

Gonna phone ncfe tmor and double check as would rather do that if it does turn out to be more more than 0.25.
    when you delivered it, what did your school say about it ? did they consider it worthy ?

4. Is that the NCFE one? We were allocated a whole day to deliver it but I think they may have done it in a year (it was a legacy course from my predecessor) but I can't remember too clearly now.
    The only thing about NCFE was that I found it much more difficult to find information about the qual. The BTEC has more support, resources and information readily available. The school that sent the 14-16s to us did consider it worthy at the time but haven't done it since. They were more in favour of the BTEC Level 2 courses, I think because they are more familiar than the NCFE ones. As an Admissions Tutor at our college, I think I'd rather have the BTEC, for what it's worth.

5. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/492869/6770178.aspx#6770178
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/439555/5980640.aspx#5980640 https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/492869/6770238.aspx#6770238

We've bashed ideas around about this before, don't know if these threads are of any use. I'd much rather opt for the BTEC over the NCFE, we tried to deliver the latter once nested in our Level 3, I don't know how much its improved but at the time I remember a lot of staff swearing about the stupid amounts of paper attached to it. Poemelectronique, I hope you're keeping well. I continued with the 9.00am morning song theme, how are those theme tunes :)