1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which laptop to buy - mind boggling!!!!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Trixie1, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Trixie1

Trixie1 New commenter

Hello all,

I am having to replace my laptop, which I use at home to do school work. I will basically be using Word and Smart programmes. I have about £250 to spend but I find choosing a new one bamboozling! Just wondered if any of you had any recommendations? My current laptop is an Acer Aspire 5336 and I am changing because it's got slow.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

If it's getting slow a really cheap and effective fix is to stick a solid state drive in it instead. Did that with my Acer 5732 and it's really fast now.

3. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

Agreed. My laptop is 7 years old with a spec to match. Changing the hard drive to a solid state one for about £100 has transformed it.

4. Trixie1

Trixie1 New commenter

Thanks both of you :)

5. Agreed with both of the above - an SSD should keep your laptop going for a couple more years. While you're at it, you could also boost the RAM - look at Crucial.com, they have a tool where you can put your laptop's make and model number in and get garunteed-compatible RAM (handily, they also sell SSDs).

If your laptop is running Windows 7, it should be eligable for a free upgrade to Windows 10. It's worth doing at the same time as your harddrive upgrade - clone the harddrive to the SSD (the ones from Crucial.com come with included software to help you do this), swap the harddrives in the machine (and add your new RAM), then run the Windows 10 upgrade - if anything goes wrong just re-clone your old harddrive again.

For the harddrive-cloning part of an SSD install, you will need some kind of SATA-to-USB connector. A cheap, empty harddrive case (£10-ish from eBay or similar) will do, and when you're done you can put your old laptop harddrive in it and use it for extra storage or backup.