1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which job should I seek after teaching?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Getzlaf2007, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Getzlaf2007

Getzlaf2007 New commenter

Hi all,

I posted on here a few weeks ago that I had gone to 3 interviews and failed them all. Been teaching for over 10 years and I need to go and do another job now as I am stuck in a rut forever. I can't seem to move on in my career, can't get through interviews, not liked at my current school and I am losing the will with everything. All the newer teachers at my school have been promoted and I am never one of them. I always get looked over, I am not good at this job and I need to sought a different career. I am just so unhappy that I cried this week when I got home due to my situation. What could I train up to do with my teaching skills?. I need to find a job that I can do and teaching is not that job. I chose the wrong career and I want to start again with a new career. Please, offer some suggestions. Time for me to get planning for my second career that can hopefully take me to retirement!. Teaching isn't for me. I can't teach or lead anything so must get out of this job as soon as I can. Thank you :)

2. 576

576 Established commenter

It's really hard to say as we don't know you but ask yourself the following

Does your subject lend itself to a particular field of work? You could explore those options.

Do you still want to work with children?

You could look at education roles in charities.

What other skills / experience do you have?

Do you work better in a group or independently?

Do you want 9-5 and every day's the same or something more diverse?

Why not go on a job advertising website and see what's out there?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am really sorry that things are so tough for you, Getzlaf.

Firstlt I will say that

This is not on. It's not good for you, not good for your pupils, not good for your family. You need to look after yourself.

Do contact the Teacher Support Network. http://www.teachersupport.info/hub/england

24/7 for phoneline, there's also e-mail and text support. You owe it to yourself to get somebody to support you so that you don't feel this bad.

I have also attached (I hope!) at the top a file with suggestions for jobs that maximise the skills and experience that you have gained in your teaching career. See if there's anything there that sounds good to you.

However I must warn you that teaching is a relatively well paid career; you will find it hard to get something else that brings home quite as much bacon.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

4. Hiya,

I was pleased that I am not the only one who has had a similar experience and feelings. I have also been teaching for 10 years and gone for 4 interviews for promotion with no luck. I have tried a different school to see if that helps but I am again feeling like I was at my last, very unhappy, very unhappy with the behaviour of pupils and like you have had enough of the job and not sure where to go from here. i also have found myself in tears due to the job so know it is not for me anymore but as the person said below it is good money and holidays but i feel i can not stay in a career for that. I am interested to know what you have done?

5. Getzlaf2007

Getzlaf2007 New commenter

Hi Lukehardy, well I have dusted myself off after all those awful interview rejections from last term and have my current new class. I know that it's hard to leave teaching and do something else as that is the only work experience I have and the holidays are great compared to other jobs along with the salary. So this year I am planning for job hunting next year. There isn't much going jobwise in January and after Easter so my plan is to use this school year to add more skills to my repertoire so that I have more to say at interviews. So that I will be ready to make a strong application next year and get a job this time!!!. I am looking into things that will get me out of class as I feel that I would love a new challenge and to learn a new role. The classteacher job has gone on long enough for me. I really need a change. I am trying to prepare myself for maybe a SENCO/Inclusion role as that interests me. I will nag my SENCO for some things I can shadow them with. If you don't ask you don't get!!!. I am also aiming to organise and lead some whole school things this year too. I know that being a SENCO would involve a lot of admin work and meetings but it would be a new lease of life for me. So I am trying to so do things along those lines so that I can secure a job as a SENCO next year. Hopefully, I will be a happy banana next year!!!. I need a change badly!!. :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck to all job-changers

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

7. Some ideas and resources on the Facebook page

www.facebook.com/leavingteaching

Good luck

8. plinth

plinth New commenter

I'm with you here. Desperate to find something else. Happily earn half of what was on as ft teacher in order to get my life back. In the meantime, doing supply.

9. I'm also due to leave at Easter so will be interested to find out what other's get up to. Good luck everyone.

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

It is possible to get out of teaching although it may take some time. I worked supply and did part time study to get myself some extra quals and have got out. It took me a few years though between when I first was wanting out and getting out.

The irony for me is that after being out for only a short amount of time I'm contemplating jumping back in. But thats another story. If you've had enough of perm teaching try supply whilst you work on an alternative.