1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is the best airline you have ever used?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yasimum, Feb 12, 2012.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Mine was a toss up between my first flight ever on my way to England with Malayasian Airlines and my second trip with Lauda. (Even though the Malaysian Airlines trip felt interminable with stops in Melbourne, KL, Karachi, Kuwait and Frankfurt before reaching London, the service and food were excellent.)

2. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Mine was a toss up between my first flight ever on my way to England with Malayasian Airlines and my second trip with Lauda. (Even though the Malaysian Airlines trip felt interminable with stops in Melbourne, KL, Karachi, Kuwait and Frankfurt before reaching London, the service and food were excellent.)

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Emirates, Etihad and Swissair were very good.

4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I used t love flying Aeroflot back in the 70s...

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I reckon Singapore Airlines are overrated.

6. You're on a roll Yasi. We had to come in - too cold outside. Not even the bar was warm.
    I like Qatar not for the service but for the relatively short trip. Madrid-Doha-Melbourne- 21:30 hours. Can't get any quicker than that. Yeah!

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Oh, yes, Aeroflot
    "This is your captain. I have red light on instrument panel. I will not take off with red light. They are coming to fix"
    1 hour later. "I still have red light. I will not take off with red light. They are coming to fix"
    2 hours later, "Still red light. I will not take off with red light"
    3 hours later, "I am your new pilot!"

8. Wasn't there a joke, back in the 70s, about taking rubber bands with you if you flew with Aeroflot?
    Garuda was pretty dire as well, not to mention Olympic. However, what I did like about Olympic was that all the flight attendants had Aussie accents. And let's not forget Span Air, Pan Am - great safety records.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"This wine is excellent," I said to the pretty Malev stewardess. She smiled a lovely Hungarian smile and gave me a free bottle.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Emirates. Can't beat them.
    A little story - back around 1984 when people still smoked on planes. I went to USA with Virgin. I hadnt really flown much before and wanted to sit near the window (childish I know). The only window seat was in smoking so I took it (I am a non-smoker I hate the habit). I thought people wouldn't really smoke much on a plane. I was wrong.
    9 hours later, having been immersed in peoples second hand smoke throughout the trip, hated my journey, had a massive headache which lasted the first day of my holiday, threw up in the airport toilets as soon as I disembarked.
    How stupid of me!

11. I liked Singapore Airlines, although my experience of them was straight after many years of flying such esteemed airlines such as Syrian Arab Airlines.
    I always remember one breakfast from Syrian, two boiled eggs and two bread rolls, dumped on my tray without a hint of a smile......except from me. In there defence, they were at least in their own plastic bags[​IMG]

12. Have done a few long haul flights around the world and in my opinion:
    Best: Cathay Pacific (amazing food in Economy) and Lufthansa (no nonsense, reliable)
    Worst: British Airlines (notorious for losing luggage)

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

KLM is excellent for transporting dogs.
    The late Ted Wragg came up with this one at a conference I attended:
    UNIDENTIFIED VOICE ON RT: Time check, please.
    HEATHROW CONTROL TOWER: What airline are you?
    UV: Does it matter?
    HRCT: Oh yes. If you´re Lufthansa its 1300 precisely. If you´re Air France its lunch time. And if you´re the British Midland flight to Newcastle it´s ThOrsday.

14. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

My first flight to China was with Aeroflot. I had a gut feeling it was a bad idea. Their service centre had told me that the new baggage rules applied to me and that I could take excess luggage on at a 'per bag' rate. When I got to the airport, they said that because of the date I had booked my ticket, it was on a 'per KG' rate and they wanted to charge me almost £2000! They refused to listen to the phone call or check any details. I ended up having to cancel the original flight and buy another one in the airport on the day. I still haven't go around to claiming the refund because I booked through an agent and it seems to be too much for them to cope with applying the full refund, rather than just the taxes.

Added to this mess, during take off the partition between first and standard class came unattached to the wall at the top. I'd always thought tales of Aeroflot planes falling apart during flight were urban myth...

I'd like to add that this was all last August. Not just in the 70's...

15. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Lufthansa for polite service (if you can speak German) and reliable timings. Asiana and Singapore for really good service if you have small children. A380 generally for the buzz.
    Avoid Qantas - last time I flew to Australia out of 4 flights two were late, one was cancelled and on my last leg they wanted to re-route me via Hong Kong adding 12 hours to my trip. When I asked about compensation, they laughed and said that the re-route was my compensation.

16. Best: Thai Airways without a doubt, followed closely by Malaysian and Turkish Airlines.
    Not a big fan of Garuda, Aeroflot or China airlines.

17. I don't think i have heard of many of you in S. America.

But TAM are fantastic. very good food, great entertainment on board (Im talking 100s of full albums, 20 or so movies (Not including a huge collection of disney) games and a very cool map giving you ETA, Weather at destination etc)

Air Lingus...not soo good. Service without a smile is their motto i think :)

18. brigelle

brigelle New commenter

I flew on China Eastern Airlines once. The stewardess came round with the meals. She looked at me and then at the meals and then at me again and asked.....cow or hen?
    I answered hen and when I lifted the aluminium lid and looked at my meal I nearly added to it!

19. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Royal Brunei were excellent. The staff were really helpful and ever so polite. The toilets were kept meticulously cleaned and loads of space around the toilet block to walk around (long haul). Their shorter haul planes were pretty naff though!

20. TACA! I regularly use them, and never been disappointed. I also like Frontier - a budget airline which doesn't feel like a budget service.
    Can I nominate my worst? Continental - ghastly, ghastly. Oh, and Spirit - dreadful.