1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is the best airline for baggage allowance?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by v12, Apr 20, 2012.

1. v12

v12

It seems that where .ever I look, the maximum for a single piece of baggage is 23kg.
    Air India say they allow two pieces per passenger (economy class) so a max. of 46kg.
    plus 8kg of hand luggage
    plus laptop
    plus overcoat.
    Are there any more generous airlines (economy class only) - we fly to India at the beginning of August (two adults and two children (9 & 6)?
    Does anyone have any advice about what to take? And what NOT to take!
    I was thinking of using boarding school type trunks from www.storagetrunks.co.uk which look ideal if not a trifle on the heavy side - how many clothes are there in 23kg anyway?
    Ulp!!!

2. v12

v12

It seems that where .ever I look, the maximum for a single piece of baggage is 23kg.
    Air India say they allow two pieces per passenger (economy class) so a max. of 46kg.
    plus 8kg of hand luggage
    plus laptop
    plus overcoat.
    Are there any more generous airlines (economy class only) - we fly to India at the beginning of August (two adults and two children (9 & 6)?
    Does anyone have any advice about what to take? And what NOT to take!
    I was thinking of using boarding school type trunks from www.storagetrunks.co.uk which look ideal if not a trifle on the heavy side - how many clothes are there in 23kg anyway?
    Ulp!!!

3. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Egyptair also allow 2 bags at 23kg in the hold, hand luggage on most airlines is 7kg rather than 8kg plus a laptop and coat. A better option may be air-freighting additional stuff out. Excess baggage costs are generally ridiculous, so air freight is a good way to go. I had a whole load of stuff sent out to Zimbabwe many years ago and because it is so far from the coast it was cheaper than sea freight.
    At most UK airports there used to be branches of a company called something like 'the excess baggage company' and they were pretty good.
    You would be amazed at how much clothing makes up 23kg if you are mainly packing for hot weather, winter woolies are another matter entirely. Depending upon when you go and where to, it may be an option to take summer clothes with you and air freight out suitable winter clothes (note that in some parts of the world what passes for a winter coat wouldn't work in England on a cool summer day).

4. the evil tokoloshe

Yep, the company is still thriving according to their website, just google excess baggage company and they turn up. Those trunks are a waste of time unless you want your baggage allowance to consist of mainly empty trunks. Lightweight hard shell suitcases work better.

5. tica

tica New commenter

Etihad is 30 kilos and if my memory serves me right so is Emirates. Gulf Air allows 30 if you join the frequent flier programme.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Yes. If at all possible don't take Air India.

7. v12

v12

Ooo. Interesting - why's that - I thought they looked quite good!

8. v12

v12

For those interested in this thread, I've just had a quote from the nice man at The Excess Baggage Company.
    To send 350kg in ten boxes by AirFreight to India - £1250
    Or 45 cu ft in ten boxes by SeaFreight to India - £440 (both door to door)
    It takes between 6-10 wks by sea

The SeaFreight is about what the school is offering to give me as shipping costs anyway - so not too bad, I suppose.

9. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

KLM also used to do 2 x 23KG a few years back. dont know if they still do or not...

10. the evil tokoloshe

I admit that I should have added that sea freight in Zim effectively means sea freight to South Africa followed by either road haulage, rail haulage or air freight and it wasn't a huge amount that I was taking. Not even sure I own 350kg of stuff now (ignoring LPs - those came to SA by boat).
    In either case, rather go for door to door and don't forget insurance

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Nothing very damning. Typical nationalised industry, scruffy, offhand, indifferent food, smelly loos. We frequently went Emirates London-Delhi. Always VG as is KLM.

12. British Airways are pretty good. You can take additional bags up to 23kg each for 34 quid. When I moved overseas I came with about 4 suitcases loaded with up to 23kg of stuff with other stuff left in storage in London. On my first half term vacation I flew back to London and came over with the rest of the stuff.
    I used the trunks when I returned from another posting overseas, but only because a shipping company (who charge by the square metre) were moving my stuff. But if it was me lugging my baggage around at the airport, I would use the large, hard-shell, lightweight suitcases, not the trunks because the trunks are a *** to shift and will weigh a lot more than 23kg if full.