1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is easier for yr2 children to grasp please? Time or money? (For an interview)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I found out yesterday that I have a teaching interview soon and I have to deliver a twenty minute maths lesson to a year 2 class. There are two positions at the school - year 1 and year 3. Anyway, I've only ever delivered one lesson before to a year 2 class and that was in an interview - I didn't get the job. I have taught year 1 and 3 on placement though. I'm an NQT.
    Do you think doing a lesson on money or time sounds like a good idea? Which one is generally easier for children to grasp please, from your own experience? I was thinking of doing money. It's hard when you don't know the children and what they already know. Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I found out yesterday that I have a teaching interview soon and I have to deliver a twenty minute maths lesson to a year 2 class. There are two positions at the school - year 1 and year 3. Anyway, I've only ever delivered one lesson before to a year 2 class and that was in an interview - I didn't get the job. I have taught year 1 and 3 on placement though. I'm an NQT.
    Do you think doing a lesson on money or time sounds like a good idea? Which one is generally easier for children to grasp please, from your own experience? I was thinking of doing money. It's hard when you don't know the children and what they already know. Thanks.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It depends entirely on the previous experience of the individual children and the class as a whole, I'm afraid.
    Your best bet is to think about which you can create the best lesson for to best show off your abilities. As awful as it sounds, in some ways the children are academic in these processes.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely don't do time. You can never ever tell what they will know and not know. Levels provided by school tell you nothing about time. Often the least able child can tell the time easily, but can't access higher level problems, whereas more able children are bored by learning to tell the time, but need to do it. Steer clear for sure.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

If someone asked me which Maths topics I would avoid like the plague for an interview I would say time and money. If I were you I would have a look at the Year 3 objectives in the strategies (assuming they plan around this) and build a lesson around that.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Definitely avoid time. If I could avoid it with the actual class I teach I would, let alone a class I don't know!! Money isn't so bad. There's a game I found on TES resources involving collecting cards with coins on and adding them, which is a more interesting alternative to a worksheet. Alternatively could set up a shop with them. Personally I'd avoid both and do some problem solving though.

7. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Definitely, definitely don't do time! [​IMG]

8. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

PS. I did problem solving with a real life context recently with Ofsted and it went down well.