1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is better, iPGCE from Univ of Sheffield or PGCE from Univ of Nottingham

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by clintpemberton, Sep 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. clintpemberton

clintpemberton New commenter

Looking for some help making a decision.

I am a 50 year old Australian who with bachelor of business, graduate certificate of management, certified Practicing accountant and CELTA qualified. I have been teaching overseas for the last 3.5 years Teaching Business Studies and Economics. Before that Iworked all over the world as a senior finance professional.

I understand that neither course gives me QTS, however at my age that’s not what I’m looking for. My plan is to retire in 5 years, so time precludes the QTS route. What I would like, is to have something that helps set me apart from other teachers who are not fully qualified and open up a few more doors.

Firstly, will the above courses help open some new opportunities abroad and secondly which course is better.

look forward to some guidance.

Cheers

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Which one is more rigorous ? Which one requires a mentored placement ?

The iPGCE from Nottingham was notorious as it only required two or three not very tough essays, and you got the certificate. Those in the know - including some Principals / Head of Schools - would not accept it as a teaching qualification. The CELTA is more respected. There are some schools, however, who don't mind and are quite happy to hire unqualified teachers. These are not always the lower tier schools either.

To be honest, you have a lot of real world experience, as well as quite a bit of teaching experience. Just get whichever one is easier to get, then start applying. Good luck !

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lc547186

lc547186 New commenter

Distance learning PGCE at Uni of Nottingham does not make you a teacher. No teaching hours included, just theory. Its just a postgraduate certificate, nothing special really. If you are wanting to actually teach then Uni of Sunderland PGCE IDL in my opinion is your best bet to become fully qualified. However you mention about setting yourself apart from others who are not qualified. I wouldn't think they will open more doors at all to be honest, especially since you already have a CELTA. You are better off sticking with either what you have or doing a Masters in Education or even maybe a Masters in Buisness or Economics may help since then it is subject specific. Just so you know its based on experience. Wife has the iPGCE from Uni of Notts...did her no favors...now doing PGCE IDL with Sunderland. I have a PGCE QTLS, PGCE Ed Studies, Masters and currently undertaking a doctorate. Out of them all, masters helped the most but tbh its been the experience more than anything that helped me stand out when I needed to.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

No fake teaching qualifications are required to obtain a teaching job in many countries. Your current experience and qualifications will get you a visa here in China.

The PGCEi and such like are only used to confuse and defruad parents into thinking that the high tuition fees they are paying is for qualified teachers in the classroom.

For the short time you are going to remain in teaching when spend all the time, money and effort in obtaining a none qualification.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Again!!!!! Neither Sunderland!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I don't get this. The OP wants to retire in 5 years time so why is he talking about doing teaching qualifications? And why British ones when he is Australian? They have their own teaching qualifications.
    The iPGCE is accepted at some international schools.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. yasf

True - but not all iPGCEs are equal. The Sunderland one is more rigorous, more respected and more widely accepted than Nottingham's - which is little better than just buying a certificate on the Khao San Road.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

Sunderland require two lesson observations from tutors over the course of two terms and the students have to reach all the teaching standards outlined in the Dept. Ed UK, and the coursework is pretty full on too. Nottingham's isn't recognized in Hong Kong by the EDB (Government Education Department).

yasf likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I would say that the best thing is not an iPGCE. What the OP really needs is some IB/MYP/PYP training.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

IB training has less value than an PGCEi from Nottingham Uni and I should know as I have have done a few IB training session, sometimes as an instructor.

The cost for the IB training is insane when you consider the cost of flights, hotel, cover teachers, lost ours and all for about 4.5 hours lecture time over the weekend.

I don't do online IB courses, no free shopping trip to SG.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  11. yasf

I'm hoping that this will become an internationally understood benchmark - until Nottingham do the decent thing and either scrap the course or up its requirements.