1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is best?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunnysidelady, Jan 9, 2020.

1. sunnysidelady

sunnysidelady New commenter

Can I ask, which would you prefer to teach and which do you think would be best for the children: an R,1, 2 mixed age class or a 2,3,4 mixed age class?

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Both sound horrendous. Personally, I would never choose to teach a mixed class. It would potentially be easier to teach reception, 1, 2 together particularly if you can group children for phonics as some year 1s may not have passed phonics screening. Year 1 and year 2 maths is quite similar and you could really push the year 1s. I'm guessing this class has a very small number of each year group? Do you really want that workload? Planning for three year groups at a time for only a few children?
    I wouldn't teach 2,3,4 together, ks1 and ks2 in the same classroom just sounds awful.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It strikes me that developmentally the difference between 4year olds and 7 year olds is so great it would make organising the class and teaching more difficult. than the Y2,3,4 mix.