1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which is best Career wise? PGCE or GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by BelstaffTrialmaster, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I am in a very fortunate position to be offered a PGCE at Birmingham City University and also a GTP through the East Northamptonshire Training College in Raunds.

What I am seeking for now is advice on which is best for a career, going into NQT Interviews and such?
    Disregarding the Financial incentives and such, simply which would be the best career route?

Your Views will really be appreciated.

2. I am in a very fortunate position to be offered a PGCE at Birmingham City University and also a GTP through the East Northamptonshire Training College in Raunds.

What I am seeking for now is advice on which is best for a career, going into NQT Interviews and such?
    Disregarding the Financial incentives and such, simply which would be the best career route?

Your Views will really be appreciated.

3. It depends what you're after for your career. I did GTP and found that I was very well equipped for my NQT year, I had done loads of teaching and spent much much more time in schools than PGCE trained NQTs. I stayed at the same school and as I knew what I was doing I was in a position to pick up additional responsibility quite quickly. GTP is well ragraded as a training route in my area. The only caveat being if you ever want to work abroad then GTP will severely restrict you.

4. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I agree with everyone else - it depends what you want to do with your teaching career in the future!

I went down the pgce route, purely because I will need to teach abroad at some point (other half in the forces) so it was important I had a qualification that was recognised all over. I also only wanted to do a 1 year course whereas I understood gtp is 2 years?

However the pgce does have a lot of pointless theory work, and you do get more classroom experience on gtp. I would say look at your life plan and decide based on that :)

good luck

5. You should check what qualification(s) you come out with on the GTP.
    As part of my GTP (Manchester) we get QTS but also a PGCT (Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching) which does allow us to teach abroad - not all GTP courses provide this though.
    Just to clarify - the GTP is a 1 year course.

6. Sorry, I also wanted to say that the GTP seems to be gaining more and more credability especially as the government are moving towards more school based training programmes.

7. My GTP course is 1 year but includes the Professional GCE as a compulsory element. It's an awful lot of work and not for the fainthearted! As stated the employment-based route is seen as the way forward by the government...
    The fact that you do spend so much time in school is, in my humble opinion, the element that gives the GTP the edge over the PGCE, particularly in terms of your preparedness for teaching.
    Of course, if the GTP course you are accepted on doesn't have the PGCE element but you have an eye on teaching abroad...
    Whatever you decide, congratulations on your success and good luck!

8. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

One advantage of the PGCE route is that you get an equal amount of experience in two schools, which can be very different in style and approach. As another poster mentioned, being on the PGCE course gives interaction with other trainee teachers and a chance to share experiences as well as provide mutual support - I have found this quite valuable. Another advantage are the opportunities to reflect on teaching and your own experience - I'm sure that is possible in GTP, but with PGCE there are blocks of time not spent in the classroom for this purpose. (Becoming a reflective teacher is something that is constantly encouraged).

One last thing that I have not substantiated, but which I came across with one GTP trainee was the amount of evidence that you have to provide to gain QTS - the paperwork appears to be very high - substantially more than for PGCE (not talking about assignments, but about collecting documentation).