1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which IGCSE course is best for me? (Scottish Curriculum experience)

Discussion in 'English' started by xjillwilsonx, Dec 24, 2018.

1. xjillwilsonx

xjillwilsonx New commenter

Hello all!

I am applying for several international school positions in Dubai and HK to teach Secondary English. Most jobs are, of course, ENC or IB. I come from Scotland and was planning on doing one of the Cambridge IGCSE Online training courses to boost my CV and prepare for work abroad.

I can see the following courses:

Cambridge IGCSE English Literature (0486) - Training | Online
    Cambridge International AS and A Level English Language (9093) - Training | Online
    Cambridge IGCSE First Language English (0500) - Training | Online
    Cambridge International AS and A Level English Literature (9695) - Training | Online
    Cambridge IGCSE English Literature (0475) - Training | Online

I really want to choose one that will give me the best head start (and don't fancy wasting £150!).

Can anyone help me pick the one that's likely to be the most useful in my job-hunting, and hopefully, future teaching? If anyone has any advice/tips in how best to start transferring skills and experience from the Scottish curriculum to the English, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Well, the IGCSE First Language is probably going to be the most widespread course you will come across... however, I wouldn't bother. Remember that state school teachers in the UK won't have experience of the iGCSE either (so you'll be on a level playing field with them) plus the new spec is coming in for first examination in 2020.... so nobody will have any experience of it. Plus, some schools do Edexcel...

I did the training for the A Level with CIE this year (my school paid) and I found it very basic - almost PGCE level.

I think you might be better off looking carefully at the assessment objectives of each course and thinking about how your teaching experience correlates, then ensuring you demonstrate this on application forms and in interviews.

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I’ve replied on your other thread, but another thing comes to me.

As I remarked, we do Edexcel IGCSE (and Edexcel A Level). None of the five colleagues I’ve appointed as HoD had experience with any of these exam specs. It just wasn’t a factor in shortlisting or selecting them.