1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which household appliances could you most and least live without?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, May 6, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I could live without my washing machine the least. How previous generations of women did it, I'll never know. Having said that, I was made to wear things more often than once when I was a kid!
    I could live without my dishwasher. Stacking it is like a game of Kerplunk (minus the fun) and unloading it is my least favourite chore. For some reason, my dishwasher doesn't dry the dishes (they come out clean but soaking!) so I have to dry them by hand anyway [​IMG]
    What about you?

2. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I used to holiday in France a lot, staying with my ex's family - they didn't have any hot water, or indeed any running water, we had to draw it from the well! There was something nice about heating a big ol' pot of water on the wood burner oven!
    I couldn't live without a fridge and an oven.
    I could easily live without a dishwasher - after all, you can't miss what you've never had!
    Even though my hair looks like a massive mushroomy bush without my GHDs, I could easily live without them - anyone who says they can't is a tad shallow, if you ask me!

3. If wanting to present myself in the best possible way and getting confidence from knowing I look and feel good is shallow then so be it. I'm as shallow as they come.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's me.
    Oh well, that's me too. [​IMG]
    If it was a choice tween losing the GHD's or the washing machine, the washing machine would be sorely missed but at least I'd have nice hair.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And you'd be dirty and smelly. Fab!

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Why would I be dirty and smelly? Have I missed something?
    I never had a washing machine for years (when I was younger) and mostly hand washed everything to exacting standards [​IMG] . . . . .big things like duvets would get taken to the laundrette.

7. My nan didn't have a washing machine until about 5 years ago. She was never dirty or smelly.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I was teasing ... but washing would take up a lot if time I've not got spare. Perhaps you have more time than I do.

9. I'd be lost without my GBHs.

10. Oh I agree. I HATE loading the dishwasher. I'd keep it though as it's a good hiding place for mucky plates/mugs etc.
    I could and am living without my tumble drier. They use up so much electricity and it's quite easy to have a clothes horse in each bedroom/just outside the kitchen to dry clothes when the weather is bad. I like to see washing on the line, blowing in the breeze too. It was useful for sheets and baby clothes, knickers and socks (although it seemed to shrink things) but now mine have grown it's totally redundant.
    My kettle is my friend...and so is the washing machine. I am also coveting a relative's massive fridge freezer with cold water/ice dispenser. Oh, and I'd hate to lose my radio too....I'd miss that.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I wondered[​IMG]

12. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

There's a lot to be said for a good blow dry - just as effective as GHDs (ok, it's a bit more time consuming) but last much longer!

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

yes, in giving the afore mentioned fuzzy mushroom look . . . . . my hair is a nightmare . . . .the only thing that tames it, are my GBH, GHD's.
    Lol to Bauble

14. Electric shower. hot water every morning!
    I keep thinking if I'd room I'd love a dishwasher / if I had a hundred quid to spare, I'd love GHDs, but truth be told, I'd probably still never get my hair 'done' in the mornings and would probably be really lazy about loading and unloading a dishwasher.

15. Oh, could do without, a popcorn maker! MIL loves gadgets like that, but TBH, who eats
    so much popcorn they need a machine to make it?