1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which handwriting pens do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsminniemouse, Nov 24, 2015.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I only have 15 in my class, each pen is labelled with the child's name and they lose them on pain of death!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do they use them for every piece of work?

3. garem

garem New commenter

When I've asked children for their preference from several brands of pen, they all opt for the Stabilo Sensor 189 Fineliner Pen. It has a cushioned nib which alters according to the pressure applied. It also has a comfortable grip.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Pretty much, yes. We use pencil for maths and labelling but otherwise we use pens across all writing.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Thanks

6. shmazing_teacher

shmazing_teacher Occasional commenter

Paper Mate pens are good.

7. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

As adults, we have our own individual preferences for pens that 'feel right.' I think children should have a range of pens so they can choose the one that feels most comfortable for them.

8. nevadas

nevadas New commenter

Can I ask if year 6 can use pencil if they want to do their writing? I have a great writer in Y6 who is left handed and a little messy at times in pen, she hates it smudging and gets upset. In pencil her writing is always neat, anyone know if everything can be pencil? Thanks

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Give her a biro and it won't smudge.
    She'll look a twit if she arrives at secondary unable to write with a pen, so I'd keep on with a pen and sort out her grip / paper angle so she doesn't smudge.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Those awful Berol 'handwriting' pens used to drive me nuts when my children were at school. Once the nib is pushed in, aftyer about thirty seconds of use, children are forced to hold them in an uncomfortable and unnatural vertical position which makes their writing and posture worse. Just because something is called something doesn't mean it's any good for that purpose...

I always wrote with a fountain pen at secondary, and loved it. My boys liked gel pens but now, as adults, use fountain pens. Anything that bears any resemblence to the awful Berol things is going to hinder good writing, as well as being a monumental waste of money.

At primary school we wrote in pencil. At secondary, because our writing was well established, we moved onto whatever pen suited us. I don't understand the rush to get messy, silly primary school children using expensive ink!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm thinking of doing this and then having cheap naff pens for the old classes I teach who are meant to have their own, but don't!

12. caterpillartobutterfly

oooops posted twice due to dodgy (but free ;)) train WIFI and naff (but cheap) tablet!

13. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I ordered boxes of about half a dozen different types of pens. When I want start an individual on learning to write in pen, if give him/her one of each to try writing with. They then choose the one which they feel is comfortable to write with and they can write neatly with. They hand the other pens to me so they can go back into my stock. When the pen runs out, they can swap it for one of the same or try another one. They usually choose to stick with same type of pen.

14. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

We use these ones:

[​IMG]

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Nice! Do year 3 manage them? They look a little grown up for my class. (All boys)

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I don't suppose suggesting dip in pens with inkwells will work.That was out handwriting pen some 60 years ago:D
    seemed to work in that any child who could afford it went to buy their own fountain pen as quick as they could. We poor ones just used the pen!

17. PeStones

PeStones New commenter

Does anybody have any research on this I can pass on RE handwriting in KS2 and use of biro/handwriting pen/ pencil. Much appreciated.

18. garem1

garem1 New commenter

Rosemary Sassoon has written many books on teaching handwriting.
    Also, there is a website
    https://www.teachhandwriting.co.uk/
    which is very informative.
    Whenever I've asked children in KS2 which pens they prefer from a large selection I kept, the majority chose a felt tipped pen, like the Stabilo Sensor 189 Fineliner Pen. Triangular pencils and pens were liked for the comfort of the grip. Left handed children generally preferred a pen for left handers which can be bought here;-
    https://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/acatalog/childrens_products.html
    although, as a left hander myself, I prefer a right handed felt tipped pen or a fountain pen.