1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which handwriting pens do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsminniemouse, Nov 24, 2015.

1. mrsminniemouse

mrsminniemouse New commenter

Which handwriting pens do you use in KS2? Our pupils are all using random pens at the minute and we want to get back to a standard issue pen.
    The Berol ones are nice but the nibs tend to spread after a while.
    Can anyone share a link to the pens they use please?
    Need to be robust, black, non-smudgy and cheap!!!! Tall order methinks!

Thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use ordinary Biros

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't use biro but our school recommend handwriting pens. No idea who makes them but they are ordered I think from Consortium and are red with black ink.Like these [​IMG] but I think they are no longer available but I'm sure they do similar ones.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We use Frixion, the nibs seem to last and the eraser comes in handy!

5. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We use these and use blue ink. You can get them from Yorkshire Purchasing.

6. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

We also use the Manuscript ones from YPO - much better than Berol

7. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Uh handwriting pens... Why is it so important that kids learn to use these (awful) pens during KS2, never to hold one again? I have to question it! Why not teach them to write legibily in biro?

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Trouble with Biros (other pens are available) is they dis-assemble far too easily and the little stoppers at the end are a choking hazard.

9. Landofla

Legibly*

10. Landofla

Lots of things in the classroom are potential choking hazards... The standard issue handwriting pen lids have little clips which when broken off could also cause damage...

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Iyou mean the little stoppers like the ones also found at the end of most handwriting pens

12. Harribear

Harribear New commenter

We use Berol, but the little angels have discovered if you shake them you can make them leak!

cassandramark2 likes this.
  13. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

Both my grown up children use a cartridge pen. They feel their handwriting is neater as a result of using an ink pen. My husband is left handed and finds it difficult to use a biro and prefers to use a uniball Vision Elite pen. We use Berol black handwriting pens at school but they don't seem to last for very long. Staedtler handwriting pens are good. Biro's are not allowed at school.

14. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Isn't that the thing - different people write better / prefer different pens. Why not allow choice and only intervene when something unsuitable (giant, multi coloured pen) is used? Some write best in biro, others prefer a fountain pen. I use anything I can't smudge with my poor, hooked grip.

Landofla likes this.
  15. mrsminniemouse

Thank you everyone. OP here.
    We have now got various pens to trial. We haven't been pleased with Berol in the past, the nibs either push in or go blunt. The yellow ones with black hook apparently bleed through the page.
    We will ask some pupils to test drive the three shown in the picture below. I like the Manuscript and the Pentel equally- but Pentel is more expensive. The YOU is the own brand cheapie- I feel it is a little thin to hold comfortably. None of them seem to smudge but I don't know yet how well the nibs and the ink will last. Let's see how they cope with a week of year six usage! pens.JPG

16. mrsminniemouse

I like the Manuscript one too. Yesterday we were discussing NC folder colours together on twitter. Today pens on TES! The teacher community is a small one! LOL

17. mrsminniemouse

They do leak and the nibs go squashy too. Not much cop for a supposed market leader!

18. mrsminniemouse

I think biro looks scruffy but that is just my opinion. Personally, I would choose a fine liner to write with but the children demolish the nibs almost immediately so I think a roller ball type handwriting pen is the next best thing. You get a similar line to a fine liner but it is more robust.

19. mrsminniemouse

These are very expensive though!!!!

20. mrsminniemouse

We have ordered some of these to try. Thanks.