1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

which GIS??

Discussion in 'Geography' started by lemonadi, Nov 18, 2010.

1. The more you look the more you realise you don't have a clue what you're looking for....
    Think I may have narrowed down options to:
    - AEGIS
    - some ESRI derivitive
    - Google Earth Pro
    Anyone got any evaluations? Effectively want to be able to network the software easily, use with our own data but easily access base maps. Cost is a little bit of an issue. From what I can see only AEGIS is one-off fee?
    Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. The more you look the more you realise you don't have a clue what you're looking for....
    Think I may have narrowed down options to:
    - AEGIS
    - some ESRI derivitive
    - Google Earth Pro
    Anyone got any evaluations? Effectively want to be able to network the software easily, use with our own data but easily access base maps. Cost is a little bit of an issue. From what I can see only AEGIS is one-off fee?
    Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    [​IMG]

3. Hey Chris - thanks for the advice! QGIS has been suggested to me by a couple of other people also though I'm a little concerned that sourcing data and shapefiles etc is user intensive? going for a school-orientated package might reduce this workload. The pay-off would be a less rigorous platform perhaps.

4. Ah, yea, that's a good point - you're right!

Just another couple of ideas - 'ArcGIS Explorer' (a small, light-weight downloadable GIS application) or 'ArcGIS Online' (an online, simple GIS application) might be useful! The advantage of the latter particularly is the ability to add in several pre-created ESRI base maps and data!

Regards, Chris

5. haha feel free - good luck!
    Chris