1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which gender writes the best sex fiction?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The shortlist for this year's Bad Sex in Fiction Award has been published and it seems it's full of male authors. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-frey-katerina-shortlist-winner-a8664786.html

This doesn't mean of course, that a shortlist for the best sex in fiction, wouldn't also be full of male authors.

In addition to the question posed in the thread title, do you enjoy reading novels that have graphic sexual content, or would you prefer novels that omit it completely?

From a personal perspective, there's nothing I'm prudish about, but I'd prefer the author spent more trouble in being inventive with the plot. Engage the author with sexual activity, if it's relevant to development of the plot and of the characters, but I really don't need to read the messy details of it.

In Martin Amis' Money, the main character describes the relationship with his girlfriend and alludes to how she uses sex to exploit him, but leaves what goes on behind closed doors up to the reader's imagination. I consider it makes much better reading that way.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Blower if I could find any sex in Simon Singh's book "Big Bang."

Seemed to be all about science.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I'd never really thought about it before, but to use "Big Bang" to mean the act of creation is really apt.

TCSC47, nomad and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Over egging it a bit aren't you?

Exhausted Ennui... feels like it's more suitable.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I read some "erotica", mostly by female authors e.g Jane Eyre laid bare, and a couple I can't remember that were pretty terrible.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I had to do D H Lawrence's "Sons and Lovers" for GCE 'O'-Level English Lit.

It bored me out of my skull.

Then the English teacher took the whole class out to see the just-released Ken Russell film "Women in Love".

That bored me too, although I do recall she got very excited during the Oliver Reed and Alan Bates wrestling scene!!

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It's basic story telling. You can have some narrative that is incredibly erotic whilst not being particularly graphic whilst other very graphic narratives are as boring as get out.

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Laura felt his hot breath on her neck as he ripped the thin silk from her --- [this content has been removed by the moderators as it is too stimulating for the likes of you lot!]

With apologies to Peter Sellers.

les25paul and nomad like this.