1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which GCSE Exam Board?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Minichanic, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I am looking at all the exam boards and I think we have settled on AQA (from edexcel) as my department are fed up with IAAs and lack of support. I am interested if anyone else is changing boards and reasons behind the decision?
    Is anyone switching to Edexcel?
    Is anyone else teaching AQA to current year 9s even though it hasn't been ratified (as far as I am aware it is only the controlled assessments now holding it up)?
    Thanks

2. I am looking at all the exam boards and I think we have settled on AQA (from edexcel) as my department are fed up with IAAs and lack of support. I am interested if anyone else is changing boards and reasons behind the decision?
    Is anyone switching to Edexcel?
    Is anyone else teaching AQA to current year 9s even though it hasn't been ratified (as far as I am aware it is only the controlled assessments now holding it up)?
    Thanks

3. ajoke21

ajoke21 New commenter

Hi we are changing to AQA from Edexcel. This is because we like the option of Additional Applied Science and the assessment route it provides, considering the issues around BTEC Science, this may be an alternative to BTEC as it stands. So we will offer GCSE Science + Additional Science, GCSE Science + Additional Applied Science and Triple possibly GCSE on its own as well. Just got be care the Additional Applied may not allow progression to A level science.

4. It doesn't and it won't count in many of the league tables either...

5. The additional applied will lead onto Applied Science A-level (not pure sciences) or Science in Society A-level. Not sure about the league table position but I suspect it will only be core + additional that will be counted under the new regime.