1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which formula milk would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sabby81, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sabby81

sabby81 New commenter

Just in case there are any issues with breastfeeding, which milk would you recommend - Aptamil? SMA? Anything else? Also, would you recommend those little cartons for handiness? Thanks in advance - Sabby (32 weeks)

2. When I introduced formula to my LO (about 9 weeks old) we used Aptamil for that very reason - that the neonatal unit at our hospital gave LO Aptamil when she was staying there. When I asked them why that brand, they said it was because it was more similar to breast milk than the others. Not sure if that's particularly true though.

3. I used aptamil as I'd heard it was closest to breast milk and I was supplementing breast feeds at the time. As baby was only having a few ounces of formula a couple of times a day we started off using the cartons as they're really handy. When I stopped breastfeeding I bought the big boxes of powder.
    I notice round where I am most of my friends use aptamil, yet where I'm from everyone seems to be using c&g. Maybe it's to do with what you get offered in hospital?

4. Just remember there is less milk at the beginning and it's normal. The more you do it, the more milk you produce.
    Also, I lived in a tenement block and I had an em. c-section. Two words. Internet shopping. :)

5. Some good advice there on breastfeeding and I can only add sonething small - hipp organic bedtime milk is too thick to get through a teat! I tried it at something like 10 months (bf to 6 months) and it was a waste of money!

6. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

All the bedtime milks are a massive con and a travesty to infant
    health. There is strong advice now for many years to not put rusks in
    infant formula which people routinely did so as to make babies go longer between feeds or to sleep longer. The reason is that it shouldn't be done is that babies have choked and suffocated thickened formula in the past and people have given it to extemely young babies who should not be eating solids yet. Early introduction to solids is linked to IBS, bowel disease, food allergies and obesity.

These bedtime milks are essentially rusks in a bottle!

7. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

No worries ladymarm but kind of you to clarify. It happens regularly in hospitals that one brand or another of infant formula is recommended by staff though as more hospitals are trying to become baby friendly they are training staff better around infant feeding. As you say just the fact that parents see the brand of a formula on a ready to feed bottle (like the kind Katie Price used) for example is enough to suggest to parents that the certain brand must be recommended. This is also the reason why health care providers are not supposed to take gifts from companies with their logos on it. A pen used by a midwife with the name of a certain brand on it can be all the parent needs to believe that a certain product is better when it isn't. Information is what parents need when they are feeling vulnerable, not advertising.

8. Like ladymarm said, my hospital didn't 'promote' the formula they used. However, whilst in theory I agree that a hospital shouldn't advocate one particular brand, I'm actually pleased they were happy to tell me what brand they were using. Of all the 'am I doing this right, should this happen' torture that new mothers put themselves through, the 'what brand should I go for' was one less question to have to worry about. Not only that, but they gave my LO formula whilst I was establishing breastfeeding and the neonatal staff gave me the most amazing 1-to-1 support for breastfeeding (took 5 days and I stayed in the hospital overnight until it was sorted).
    Personally, I was extremely pleased I knew what brand they used and recommended because I also knew that when i switched to ff (9 weeks), my LO wouldn't have a problem digesting it.
    All down to personal experience I guess!

9. Interesting information, undiwear - my husband said that when we had LO the hospital had three brands to choose from (aptamil, c&g, sma he thinks) and we were asked what brand we wanted (I was out of it for a lot of the time, hence memory gaps!). It was when the HV was out later and asked what I was supplementing with the comment about aptamil being closest to breastmilk was made (by her).
    I agree with undiwear about getting some pre birth support for bf-ing - I found staff support varied greatly in hospital and had I known about organisations that would help I could have made use of them.
    Incidentally, I'd never changed a nappy before and the midwives showed us how to do that, how to bath baby, etc while we were in the hospital so you won't need to google!

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

A midwife told me Aptimil is the best, as it's the nearest to breastmilk, but freely availble and anyone can feed, not just mum! And Aptimil has immunofortis, so baby gets prebiotics.
    SMA babies tend to poo less according to health visitor.
    Cow and Gate best for hungry babies-that's 'only' friends, not professionals, who told me.
    Basically varies from child to child. One of my kids was awful on breastmilk, we tried SMA, awful, put him on Aptimil and in two days he slept through for 7 hours a night, the colic went and he was just so happy! But my friend changed her daughter from Aptimil to SMA and that was better for her.So the short answer i it varies.
    I would also check the vit D levels, with my other baby I breastfed, in hindsight I wish I had given her powdered milk as well as I worry she didn't get enough vit D. At the time, I was never told breastmilk lacks enough vit D, apparently mums today are warned that they must take suppleents if they breastfeed, but I never was.
    Still, they both seem healthy as each other, so I hope I didn't let her down. Longterm, I think it doesn't make too much differenence.
    And yes, the premixed ones are great but expensive.
    For when you are in hospital, there are some which come in 'starter packs' soyou don't have to sterilise, they are great.
    If I ever had another, I personally would combine feed to begin with, using Aptimil, and then try another if that didn't suit my baby. And I'd used premixed out and about, unless I won the lottery in which case would use them at home too lol!

11. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Would the information re formula be less reassuring if the hcp had said something like "all the brands available in the UK are identical nutritionally but slightly different in a few non essential ingredients so there is no problem with picking one blind if you must. You can always change it at any time if you find it doesn't suit your baby as the brands can be unpredictable like that."

This is the medically and ethically true regarding all infant formula and were it coming from an HCP will have the same stamp of approval as 'we use brand X'

I do understand that naming one brand is reassuring plus it gives us confidence that we are being supported. Hovever I am partial to thinking that true support is about giving evidence based information and letting parents make an informed decision even when it doesn't feel like the thing they want to do at the time.

12. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Immunofortis is a made up word which Aptamil created for the prebiotics it contains. All the other formulas in the UK have prebiotics in them.
    Breastmilk doesn't lack vitamin D. Vit D supplements are advisable for babies who have darker skin (not genetically northern European) get Vit d supplements especially in winter since the skin colour needs stronger sunlight than is available here in the winter to have their bodies make Vit D. Most of the vitamin D we have is actually made by the human body for itself with the help of sunlight. A daily twenty minute walk with the face exposed in the winter is enough for northern europeans to make the necessary amounts of Vit D.

The problem with rickets and Vit D is also a concern to white babies now because in the summer time parents slather babies and children with suncream on every occasion, so much that it is impairing their skin's ability to make Vit D. Also because babies and children go from house to car to school to car to house is also reducing their exposure to sunlight whatever the weather. Vit D stores very well in the human body so daily exposure is not necessary just a healthy exposure year round.
    In asian communities the dark skin, low level sunlight in the winter plus the fact that a lot of women stay indoors and cover a lot due to cultural and religious beliefs make the Vit D issue a bigger concern for them than white Europeans.

13. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We use Cow & Gate. I think they're all pretty much the same, and as Undiwear says Aptamil and C&G are made by the same people anyway, except C&G is cheaper for some reason.
    We used C&G to begin with because when our son had lost loads of weight and we were told to get formula, the midwife mentioned C&G and being clueless parents we went with that! He was always fine with it, so when i had problems BF our daughter, we used it for her too.
    I also say plan to breastfeed, and if you have problems, make sure you get support first, and of course if you need to get formula there are plenty of shops around that sell it.

14. I'm planning on having a few cartons of the stuff in, just in case - because sod's law is if it's not going to work out it won't work out at 4am when it's freezing cold, peeing down with rain, the baby's screaming, we all feel like screaming... and getting to Tescos seems about as feasible as climbing Mount Everest.
    Was going to base what I got in stock based upon what the local Tesco and Sainsbury's stock as part of their range (local Sainsbos is titchy small) - rather than risk starting on something more difficult to get hold of, I'd go for something I know I can pick up in walking distance at the bottom of the hill if you get what I mean?

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Makes sense! We live in town so have Budgens, Boots, Co-Op, Sainsbury's etc no more than a 5 minute walk away. My husband doesn't drive though so night time trips were out of the question as I wasn't going to leave a screaming baby....and she screamed if you stopped feeding her for more than about 5 minutes. I could hardly even go to the loo!
    Weirdly enough, night time was better as she would actually sleep a bit then, but i had to co-sleep. Breast milk is supposed to be better at night i think.
    The worst time was about 6:30pm every night, lots and lots of screaming and refusal to latch on. Stupid me didn't consider colic. So make sure you have some infacol and gripe water! This is one of the reasons i started giving formula thinking she was starving.

16. I would never use Aptimil - I think their marketing is cynical and trying to pray on the guilt of bfing failures such as myself. I have to turn off the TV when their annoying follow on milk adverts come on. I think they make it more expensive so it is seen as 'better' even though it isnt. I started with C&G with my first daughter, she seemed very full quickly on it. Switched to SMA and she took more and second daughter is on SMA.

17. daisy_chain

daisy_chain New commenter

Totally agree BG (and sorry BFing didn't work out for you either!) I used to ball my eyes out when the bloody aptamil add came on! Unfortunately I do give LO aptamil as that is what she got in hospital when she was needing formala top ups.
    Good luck with the BFing OP! Do lots of research and ask lots of questions. Take all the support you can get!

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Me too! In fact, it still upsets me now and my son is 2 and 8 months, and my daughter is 9 months. Not that I get much time to watch TV and see said advert.....

19. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Well said. I'll sit on my hands now as I may bore the pants off people here by deconstructing how that follow-on ad works.

Daisy_chain, I am sure you are with Aptamil because your daughter is fine on it but if you ever feel like you ought to change there is no harm in swapping formulas as outlined earlier. :)

20. With regard to Cow and Gate - it's a Nestle product - a lot of people boycott it due to what Nestle did in third world countries - there's a link here if anyone wants to know about it... don't want to be too vociferous on here, really.

http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/nestle.html