1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which food mixer?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by daisyhorse, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I have a Kenwood chef and have had since I got married 33 years ago. My daughter makes absolutely delicious cakes and would like a food mixer (she currently just uses my electric hand whisk). We would like to get one for her birthday and she has expressed an interest in a Kitchenaid, but I really can't justify the cost especially as it's one 'all the TV chefs use' (her words). I can't believe how expensive food mixers are! What's the benefit in using a food processor over a food mixer and attachments?
    Which food mixer have any of you got, (would like and why) and what in your opinon is a reasonable price to pay?
    This is what I was thinking of buying
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Classic-Kitchen-Machine-Silver/dp/B000Q7ZCFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326092772&sr=8-1
    and this is what she would like!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenAid-Artisan-KSM150BER-Stand-Mixer/dp/B000094U5H/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1326092916&sr=1-3

2. I have a Kenwood chef and have had since I got married 33 years ago. My daughter makes absolutely delicious cakes and would like a food mixer (she currently just uses my electric hand whisk). We would like to get one for her birthday and she has expressed an interest in a Kitchenaid, but I really can't justify the cost especially as it's one 'all the TV chefs use' (her words). I can't believe how expensive food mixers are! What's the benefit in using a food processor over a food mixer and attachments?
    Which food mixer have any of you got, (would like and why) and what in your opinon is a reasonable price to pay?
    This is what I was thinking of buying
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Classic-Kitchen-Machine-Silver/dp/B000Q7ZCFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326092772&sr=8-1
    and this is what she would like!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenAid-Artisan-KSM150BER-Stand-Mixer/dp/B000094U5H/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1326092916&sr=1-3

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The Kenwood one you mention looks like an excellent piece of kit and a great deal at the price on there at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure most people would like a KitchenAid - I'd love one myself - but they really are very expensive. I can't quite justify buying one, myself. Maybe one day. Much of the appeal is the aesthetic one, I think.
    I can see no real advantage in having a KitchenAid over the Kenwood, other than an aspirational one.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Oh - and I'd add that I don't have a mixer at all at the moment. Just a strong arm with a balloon whisk and a wooden spoon!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I had one KenwoodChef for 25 years then replaced it with another, not as good though!

6. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The best is the Kenwood Chef, I also have a Magimix Food Processor, but I'd rather give that up than my Kenwood.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd just love a Kitchenaid.....yummy.
    Sigh.........

9. I would love a kitchenaid - preferably a pink one, or maybe purple. I have promised myself one when my Kenwood chef breaks - My Mum bought it in 1960 - and it's still going strong. Any day now...

10. My Mum got her Kenwood in 1962. It stopped working (for the first time) just before Christmas. Not because there was anything wrong with the motor or the mechanism, but because after 50 years, the cable to the plug had become brittle. It cost £6 to repair. I have heard that the Kenwoods are cheaper to repair because the parts are more easily available (not least due to refurbished replacements found on eBay) but as either machine is unlikely to go wrong, that may not make much difference in the long run. I would be delighted with either, and your daughter is lucky to have a generous Mum!

11. Looks like it will be the Kenwood then, her cakes are really scrummy. She wants to learn how to perfect her pastry now. Have you notice how you teach someone how to make something and they end up doing it better than you?

12. Oh yes - my daughter puts me to shame now, I used to fancy myself as a bit of a chef, but she is amazing!

13. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Kenwood Chef every time. I got one online which was a spoils - it had a slight blemish on the body but otherwise it was perfect - but the price was £100 less! I got it 8 years ago and it is still going strong.